Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG APO MACRO HSM A-mount lens review by mikey2000

reviewer#11884 date: Jun-27-2014
compared to:I don't have any long lenses to compare this to except a Sigma 18-250. It wouldn't be fair to compare the general use lens to the specialist 70-200....
price paid:500GBP (in 2010.)
positive:Accurate AF (now factory calibrated by Sigma)
Pretty decent sharpness
I like the bokeh
Well built - very solid feeling
negative:AF-C stalls in 12FPS mode on my A77ii.
comment:One of my favourite lenses, despite the obvious size/weight concerns. I have always been pleased by the general sharpness wide and near wide open and the bokeh keeps me happy enough. It's a tiny bit soft at 200mm wide open but that's fine for the price I paid :-)

The AF speed is quick enough for me. Originally, I needed a +7 micro adjust at the 200mm end and 0 at 70mm. Sigma have fixed this and it now focuses evenly across the range. Brilliant! The AF is accurate and decisive.

IQ is decent on my A99 with the matched Sigma 2xTC but the AF begins to hunt a bit. On APS-C, the 2xTC shows its limitations and I think its probably better to just crop.
However I discovered it will not AF properly in AF-C mode and 12fps with my A77ii. Or T8/T10 mode on my A99. The AF locks on for the first shot then hangs during the burst, resulting in OOF shots. Don't worry - AF-C is fine in 'normal' PASM modes with AF-C and any drive mode (Continuous Hi/lo/single etc) Sigma has aknowledged this as a problem but don't expect a lens firmware update :-(