Sigma 70-210mm F2.8 APO A-mount lens review by kevfinger

compared to:Sigma 18-125mm F3.5
Sigma 70-300mm F4
Minolta 75-300mm F4.5
price paid:£299 Second Hand
positive:Relatively cheap F2.8. Sturdy, Internal focusing, Sharp, Nice colours. Great for low light. While the focusing was slow there was very little hunting. In fact very rarely.
negative:Heavy, Slow focusing.
comment:Lens was advertised as an used Vivitar Series 1, 70-210mm F2.8 APO Zoom Lens. I did a little bit of research, but I couldn't find any details or mention anywhere.

But I decided to buy it anyway, because in the distant past I used Vivitar lenses and accessories and always was impressed with them. They never let me down. (I still have my "old" Konica 35mm SLR kits with its collection of Konica and Vivitar lens, etc.).
Along with this lens I bought a Vivitar 2x Converter.

This was the time between KonicaMinolta leaving the photographic market and Sony entering the DSLR market. Prices couldn't be lower. Bargains were to be had.

The first thing about this lens was the size and the weight. Anyway, I tried it on my KM 5D and everything seemed to function. The next step was to carry out some field work.
I found that if the extreme long length of the lens was used, passed 180mm the quality dropped off. Provided I kept to this limit, it does the job for me. (Earlier I had given my Sigma 70-300mm lens to my daughter), so I was stuck at 180mm, but I had the 2x Converter to fall back on. Funny enough, the focusing didn't seem to be affected with the converter, the same slow rate.

This lens is the Sigma 70-210mm F2.8 APO lens (the pictures and illustrations are identical).
It also works fully with my A450 and A37. There would appear to be some problems with some STL cameras and some Sigma lenses, but in this case there were none. Perhaps, I was lucky.

I don't use this lens with the A37 as the camera body is rather small and light, and it is rather difficult to hold.

Last year, while on holiday, I purchased an old style Minolta 75-300mm lens to compliment the KM 5D.
I use the 70-200mm lens mainly with the A450. They make a nice piece of kit together.