Sigma 75-200mm F2.8-3.5 A-mount lens review by Freyr

positive:- cheap
- f2.8 ~135mm
- quite sharp
negative:- some Purple fringing
- only average flare control
- AF Problems
comment:When I bought this lens 5 months ago I was fully aware of the chance that it might not work properly with my a100, although it was one of the later ones. Unfortunately I was right, as the AF wouldn't work, so I ended up with a 75-200/2.8-3.5 MF lens. Still, in my opinion it was 50 eur well spent, as both the sharpness and the colours are quite good (that is if you nail the focus right where you want it, of course). This forced me to think and helped me improve my focusing skills. The fast aperture makes this lens quite suitable for portraits - I often zoom to 200mm, focus and then push it back (push-pull zoom) to 135mm. I was quite surprised, however, when I tried it on an A77 and the AF worked like a charm, despite all odds. (when I say 'like a charm', I have to note that when it comes to focus it feels as if someone's wrestling inside- it vibrates quite a lot, but on the A77 the AF was very, very fast). Naturally, the lens has its flaws - fringing, for example. Also, you need a lens hood if you are to use it in bright sunlight. Overall, however, I think this is a small price to pay given the fact that it's very cheap and the performance you get for such money is astounding.

[edit:] I tried it on a Maxxum 5000 and it really shines on film :)