Sigma 75-200mm F2.8-3.5 A-mount lens review by Delphi

positive:Inexpensive
Fast
negative:Heavy
Flare with stock hood
comment:I had not been into photography since film but was looking to take decent photos of my kids playing sport.

With only some old pentax and olympus film bodies and manual focus lenses, I was clearly not bound to any particular brand. I was, however, very limited in terms of budget.

Sony seemed to offer the best option for shooting reasonably fast, reasonably long with the minolta 70-210 f4 but then I stumbled across this lens on eBay. For the price it looked too good to be true but I took the risk anyway, paired it with a refurbished a37 and had a sub $400 sports rig.

Shooting basketball inside and rugby outside, the results have been very nice indeed. Color and contrast have been very solid, autofocus fast and accurate and the lens has been crisp even wide open (better again at f4 upwards).

I have since borrowed a minolta 70-210 f4. With the beercan wide open and this lens at f4, the minolta perhaps shades the sigma on color and sharpness. But for sport indoors (or outside in marginal light), the f2.8 to 135mm is a more than useful offset.

This lens does wear the a37 rather than the other way round and the autofocus can feel like it's trying to shake the camera off on long throws. In addition I had a touch of flare (harsh Australian sun) until I realised that I could use a larger hood with the APS-C sensor. Now not really an issue.

This lens is exceptional value. It is cheaper than the beercan, is comparable in terms of performance at f4 (though perhaps just shaded) and has the option of shooting faster when required.

Highly recommended for the budget sports shooter.