Sigma 75-200mm F2.8-3.5 A-mount lens review by ivansinger

reviewer#11584 date: Jan-4-2014
compared to:Nikkor AF-D 80-200/2.8
Sony AF 70-300/4.5-5.6
positive:Poor man's fast tele zoom, super cheap on ebay
Near constant aperture
Solid metal construction
Fast AF on my A57 (biggest surprise)
negative:Heavy, not a walkabout lens
Not as sharp as more modern APO lenses in this zoom range
Not contrasty enough in low light, probably due to SLT 1/2 stop light loss by design
Single ring push-pull zoom design and focus is terrible ergonomics for MF video work
comment:Some context for my comments: I shoot a lot of live music and performing arts events and freely admit that I've been spoiled by my Nikkor zoom workhorse on a 12MP D300, images from which have been published numerous times. In fact, I bought that particular Nikkor zoom lens to be able to take on more competitive jobs and it has paid off in spades. Buying this Sigma for the Sony A-57 was a BIG compromise, and I wasn't expecting much for the price. Three things that have surprised me were the neutral colors, flat workable contrast, and generally fast AF for sports shooting. I didn't really expect it to take the place of my Nikkor, until one video gig, my assistant grabbed it to shoot an entire event's a-roll footage! Without it, I would have been sunk and it did get the job done, but the low light footage has flat contrast and therefore is not looking particularly sharp. I'l hang onto it because it does really work, but will probably replace it once I go to a full-frame A mount.