Sigma 90mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by fennetje

positive:sharpness
bokeh
double as portrait lens
negative:build - AF gears
AF is quirky and inaccurate
Manual focus is uneven ( gears again )
comment:updated on 14-01-2016:
Although the gears are metal, something got dislocated on my near mint sample a couple of years ago. After a long study, and some filing and adding spacers to the gear mounts, I could re-establish AF ( for now ). AF is still noisy & a bit uneven/unsure, which could be caused by my handywork. Initially my A55 had issues with the lens after a couple of days, especially at the focus delimiter point (0,5m focus distance).

Color, Sharpness & bokeh are great, it is a long prime lens after all.

So keeping in mind this is a first gen AF lens by a third party, where AF doesn't seem to be optimally implemented, it still is usable today & has its optical qualities. I increased the build rate to 3, as my previous 2 evaluation doesn't do it justice. I do appreciate the build from a maintenance point of view, as even a novice like me could figure out how to assemble and disassemble it.

comparing to the tokina, this lens is not as sharp ( but i'm splitting hairs here ), does not focus nearly as fast & accurate and the build seems toylike in comparison to it. Flare may be a little better than the tokina.