Sony 135mm F2.8 T4.5 STF A-mount lens review by snap

reviewer#9241 date: Jul-17-2011
price paid:650 Euro used (mint)
positive:the way to take pictures, the way the pictures look, mfd, build
negative:focal length on aps-c
comment:first of all: i am a beginner. the a55 is my first dslr.

I looked at all those wonderful stf pictures all over the web, read all the threads like: "which one would you take: zeiss 135 or stf", read about difficult focussing and still didnt know how this lens would feel for myself. now i know and would like to describe my first weekend with this lens on a a55.

focussing: the most important part about this lens. love it or hate it. i love it. with the a55 lcd screen you'll get a pretty good idea of what is sharp and what is not. accuracy is pretty high when using the lcd this way.
to get 100% sure of focus, use the magnifier the a55 offers. sadly magnification of 7,5x is really close but things work out pretty okay. focussing a picture takes me about 10 seconds at least but i am not used to it yet. can be a bit stressy when walking with the girlfriend and stopping every now and then.

this lens forces me to think before taking a picture. i like the feeling of working a little more for a good result. it is very rewarding.
i hope this lens will help me develop in taking pictures. at least it is fun already and i like the first results.

oh, i am sorry. i nearly managed to write an stf review without using the word bokeh or sharp in any way. so here you go:

BOKEH BOKEH BOKEH BOKEH BOKEH and
SHARP SHARP SHARP SHARP SHARP.

edit march 8th 2012: this lens gets a lot easier to use with the focus peaking from the a77 (the a65 and some of the nex have this aswell). most times I trust the peaking and rarely use the magnification for verifying. still 135mm on aps-c are very long. I still am not used to this length but I will try excessively this spring and summer :)

pictures at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixiepeeper/sets/72157628917798543/