Sony 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#45692 date: Apr-22-2021
compared to:SAL Sony 18-250
price paid:$400 USD used
positive:A great one lens solution for travel. Extremely good for a 11x zoom lens.
negative:Buyer Beware!!
Internal malfunction makes it unusable.
comment:Buyer Beware!!
I've had this lens about 5 years. Prior to getting my first e-mount camera I used a Sony A-55 with the Sony SAL18-250 as my travel kit and understood the value to traveling with a one lens solution. As soon as I bought the NEX-6 the SEL 18-200LE was the second lens I acquired after the SEL50 f/1.8.I've used the e-mount kit primarily as my travel/short hike lens. I've been totally satisfied with it's performance and the images it has produced.
About 8 months ago I noticed that when using the 18-200 on my A-6000 it would sometimes make a buzzing noise and the images would come out blurry. It didn't happen that often at first so it didn't really bother me that much. I could just turn it off for a few seconds then turn it back on and it would work properly again. Eventually it started happening more frequently. It is now unusable. I've read from others with similar issues that the repair cost is around $600USD. I don't think Im willing to pay that much for the repair.
Buyer beware.
reviewer#45685 date: Apr-2-2021
compared to:Sony 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 (earlier version)
Sony 55-200mm f4-5.6
Tamron 18-200 f3.5-6.3 LD XR DiII
price paid:$225 USD
positive:Moderate barrel distortion at 18mm, gone by 35mm. From 35mm to 200mm distortion is negligible.
Sharpness is good across the frame. It drops off at the corners at 18mm but that is to be expected.
Color is representative of reality with adequate saturation.
Flare control is good even with the sun partially in the frame. It's there but not terrible.
negative:Not much negative about this lens considering it exceeds a 10x zoom ratio.
comment:My wife has the earlier version of this lens on her a6000. Optically the LE seems very similar. It is a bit lighter than the first version. Perhaps that explains the LE designation (Light Edition?). If you want to save a few grams, go for this lens. Additionally, it's black if that makes a difference to you.
This lens came with a Nex-6 that I paid $375 for. I'm guessing the camera is worth about $150 therefore I paid $225 for the lens.
When I get some worthwhile pics I will post them.