Sony 35mm F1.8 OSS E-mount lens review by addy landzaat

reviewer#45590 date: Sep-21-2020
compared to:Sony/Minolta 50/1.4
Sigma DN 30mm
price paid:€359,- (new in 2013)
positive:Size, weight, OSS
negative:Good but not that good
comment:I do not know why QuietOC states it is similar to 54mm on full frame, as it is similar to 52.5mm according to Sony.nl

My use case for this lens is: take it with me when I want a lens in between a wide angle and a tele lens in my bag. So, it is not used that much , but it delivers when I do use it.

There is nothing really outstanding about the lens, both good nor bad. It is sharp enough, but I know better. Colour is nice, but I have seen better. The strengths of this lens are size, weight and OSS. All in all it is a nice package. If 50mm is your street focal length, an A6x00 camera with the 35/1.8 OSS is a wonderful package. It is also a better offering then the full frame 35/1.8 as that is much more expensive without OSS while heavier and also better then the 28/2 as that lens is no better, bigger and lacks OSS.

The 35/1.8 OSS is a nice lens to have in your bag when you need something in this focal range. I am sure the best zooms like the 16-55/2.8 are better, but at a cost.