Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II A-mount lens review by Evildogsofdoom

reviewer#11964 date: Aug-29-2014
compared to:70-400mm G V1
300mm f2.8 G SSM ii
price paid:US$2450 New
positive:Built like a tank.
Good flare resistance
Sharp out of box, no micro adjust needed
constant size when zooming and focusing
Filter door in lens hood
Handling
negative:Heavy
Focus Speed, not as fast as I was expecting
comment:I bought this lens, while working in Singapore. The price was surprisingly close to the original model here ($250), so this made it an obvious choice for me, as I couldn't justify the $1000 premium in the US.
Overall I am very pleased with the lens, the handling is very good. I like that the lens size stays constant when zooming.
While the lens focuses accurately (I haven't tried tracking yet), I was surprised that the lens didn't seem noticeably faster to focus then my 70-400 G i, and is nowhere near as fast as the 300mm Gii.

The quality I am getting, so far, seems very good to me, with no obvious defects. As a telephoto, my subjects tend to be pretty much in the centre of the frame, so I haven't been pixel peeping at the corners. I am impressed with the flare resistance, so the new Nano coatings seem to be working

Overall I am happy with my purchase, but I am not sure if the lens is much of an advance over the original lens. The $1000 dollar premium over the original lens, would seem to be difficult to justify in my experience. The $200 extra that Sony charged for the new 70-400 G ii would seem to be about right.