Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II A-mount lens reviews

compared to:SAL70200G Mk.1
price paid:AU$1,823.00 new
positive:Same (familiar) external design as the SAL70200G Mk.1
Faster SSM autofocus speed than Mk. 1
Weatherproofing against moisture and dust
Latest nano-coatings on lenses give better IQ
Build quality and materials
negative:Price jump up from the Mk.1
comment:Professional quality optics and build, improved over the Mk.1 version with its weather-proofing, increased SSM focus speed, and modern nano-coated lens elements.
Beautiful IQ, constant aperture through its zoom range. Ergonomically placed focus hold buttons, switches for various focus options, removable swivel tripod mount, couples with 1.4x and 2.0x T/Cs. A great lens on any a-mount camera (or e-mount with LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adaptors). Highly recommended.
reviewer#39943 date: Sep-22-2017
compared to:Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sony 70-400G
price paid:£1600 s/h
positive:Incredible build quality, fast autofocus, sharp, great colour rendition, pro features
negative:Price - REALLY Sony!!
comment:Bought as upgrade to aged Sigma to pair with A99ii. Lovely lens.
reviewer#11964 date: Aug-29-2014
compared to:70-400mm G V1
300mm f2.8 G SSM ii
price paid:US$2450 New
positive:Built like a tank.
Good flare resistance
Sharp out of box, no micro adjust needed
constant size when zooming and focusing
Filter door in lens hood
Handling
negative:Heavy
Focus Speed, not as fast as I was expecting
comment:I bought this lens, while working in Singapore. The price was surprisingly close to the original model here ($250), so this made it an obvious choice for me, as I couldn't justify the $1000 premium in the US.
Overall I am very pleased with the lens, the handling is very good. I like that the lens size stays constant when zooming.
While the lens focuses accurately (I haven't tried tracking yet), I was surprised that the lens didn't seem noticeably faster to focus then my 70-400 G i, and is nowhere near as fast as the 300mm Gii.

The quality I am getting, so far, seems very good to me, with no obvious defects. As a telephoto, my subjects tend to be pretty much in the centre of the frame, so I haven't been pixel peeping at the corners. I am impressed with the flare resistance, so the new Nano coatings seem to be working

Overall I am happy with my purchase, but I am not sure if the lens is much of an advance over the original lens. The $1000 dollar premium over the original lens, would seem to be difficult to justify in my experience. The $200 extra that Sony charged for the new 70-400 G ii would seem to be about right.
reviewer#11872 date: Jun-20-2014
price paid:2098.00
positive:
comment:SORRY, DELETE THIS REVIEW. I THOUGHT I WAS ON THE 70400 LENS. GOING THERE NOW!
reviewer#11727 date: Mar-15-2014
compared to:-Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM
-Sony 70-200mm f2.8 G SSM
price paid:2900 AUD
positive:-Sharp overall
-Faster and more decisive and accurate AF than the G1
-Weather sealed
-Nano AR coating gives better contrast and flare control than the G1
-White hood absorbs less heat
-Excellent lens handling features: low profile tripod mount,focus hold button,hood window; best handling in the class
negative:-Current pricing
-Not optically improved from the G1: still a little soft at 200mm wide open
-AF from far to near & vice versa indoor still hunts a little sometimes.
comment:I used to have fair amount of experience using the G1 before and wasn't so happy about it's AF performance indoor. Everything else I was happy about the G1. (Many people complained about it wasn't sharp at 200mm, it is true it is softer at 200mm,but I still think it is decently sharp.)Thus I really want a 70-200 that can AF faster and more decisive especially indoor.

Initially I was interested in the Tamron 70-200 II but after reading many reviews and did my own personal test, I was put off by its heavy focus breath issue, no AF limiter, no focus hold button, and no AF-D support; thus I waited for the G2.

I have read lot of people's comments/seen pictures taken, asked etc about the G2 for a while and most people who got the G2 really liked the lens and find it gives very good results, and even Sony Japan says is improved over the G1. I finally decided to purchase the G2 since its AF performance is my main concern over the G1 and I got a reasonable deal that is $600 cheaper than Sony Australia's RPP, however in the end I decided to return the G2 after using it for 2 weeks in exchange for an exceptional copied G1, why? Read on.

I know the G1 is a little softer wide open at 200mm,thus I borrowed a G1 from local camera shop against Canon 5D3 + Canon 70-200 mk2 lens(The current benchmark 70-200), before buying the G2 to set the tone to see how soft it compares to the Canon. And to my surprise both Canon and Sony combo at 200mm wide open there isn't much if any sharpness difference at all (which I also heard the Canon should beat the Sony G1 by far) not only that, this copy of G1's AF was spot on and AF faster than the the G1 I that have used before.

I later shot an event with this G1 and I checked real life pictures shot by this G1 with A99 and compared against pictures with Canon 70-200 L II with 5D3 (Different subjects, not direct comparison) at similar focal length and again I can't really see any sharpness difference, even bokeh rendering was similar, just difference in colour and contrast rendering. So I think this copy of the G1 is an exceptional copy.

Later I did a direct comparison using this exceptional copy G1 against 3 copies of G2, 2 tested in the shop and one of them I initally bought so I took my time and tested twice on different days to reduce human error. To my surprise, the 2 copies of the G2 I tested in the shop are clearly softer than the G1 at 200mm wide open using both AF and MF, using the same setting and under the same conditions. Laster on, I tested my copy of the G2 against this G1 twice, first my G2 and G1 were almost neck to neck, but still showing that the G1 is a little sharper at 200mm wide open. The 2nd test is was more obvious that my G2 clearly wasn't as sharp at 200mm, but my G2 do give slightly better contrast and slightly more vivid colours.

AF is defiantly faster and more decisive than the average G1 I have used in all AF modes but somehow not a huge difference against this exceptional copied G1. The AF of this G2 hunts slightly less at 200mm indoor but still hunts a little and sometimes in low light with side AF points I can't say it is that fast( It may due to the limitation of camera's AF system, as A99 doesn't have the best AF system in the market).

When compares to the Canon 70-200 Mk2 with 5D3 against A99 with G2, it's AF still doesn't feel as decisive as the Canon combo, especially AF from far to near or vice versa, but still the G2's AF is fast enough most of the time and very accurate and defiantly an improvement over the G1 I have used before, but somehow not much difference compared to the exceptional copied G1 I borrowed.

What the 2 generations of Sony 70-200 lens really good at are their colours and rendering, it beats the Canon especially shooting outdoor photos. It gives much more vivid yet well balanced colours with nicer tone, and the G2 does this slightly better than the G1.

Also both the Sony 70-200 handles much better with the focus hold button to lock AF in AF-C and AF-D mode and the hood window makes using CPL and graduated ND filters more convenient. Both Canon and Nikon's 70-200 doesn't offer this. I also appreciates the new white coloured hood, not only it makes the lens look more uniformed but it absorbs less heat shooting outdoors. Also if you hand holding the lens, I found the low profile tripod mount on the Sony is not as intrusive as Cannon's one while shooting with them attached and sometimes it feels like serves as a palm rest to allow you to reach the focus hold buttons. The hook- pinch style lens cap is also miles ahead of Canon's default one. All these features makes the G2 best handling 70-200 and equivalent focal lengthed lens I have ever used.

Other than that, other optical qualities of the G2 seem to match the G1 in general IE bokeh, however, as I haven't really done any direct comparison in those regards, so I won't be able to give concrete views on those.

As I originally bought the G2 for better AF (Epically indoors), weather sealing and hoping for an optical improvements; however, from my tests I find optically it is not improved and since I encountered an exceptional copy of the G1, I decided to return my G2 and swapped this G1 with spare cash to buy something else.

In the end, if you can justify the extra price on the new upgrades over the G1 and quirks of the Tamron 70-200 Mk2 go for it, it is still a good lens overall. For me it is not worth $1k more, especially I found an exceptional copy of the G1 that is optically sharper than 3 copies of the G2 I tested.

Thus I think ultimately the G2 is not worth the current price tag, but if it's $500-$600 cheaper it is a much more decent deal.

Update ( August 2014):

A friend of mine used the G2 on the A77II to do an event and he told me that the AF with the G2 is incredibly good even indoor and great at tracking. I think A99 AF system is the bottleneck back when I tested this lens. It will be interesting to test my exceptional copy G1 on A77II against a G2 to really find out just how good are the AF of G2 when it is pushed to the limit on a body with great AF system.
reviewer#11505 date: Nov-28-2013
compared to:SAL70300G
SAL70400G
SAL1650
price paid:$3000.00 CDN
positive:I can say with confidence that the SAL70200G2 is the best 70-200mm available for the A-Mount today. Its not worth 3K, but is the Canon EOS 5D MK III really worth its current price? Its the world of photography, and each manufacturer eventually finds a way to gouge us. With Sony its the 70-200.

This is my third and most expensive Sony G-Series lens to date. I received it on 27 Nov 13.

I decided to pre-order the lens following the announcement of the 70200G2 on 17 Oct 13. I choose to buy it, because of the weather-sealing, the SSM II and the two additional ED elements. I've only had it one day, and my testing has been elementary at best.

I also decided to buy this lens because I tested its chief competitor the Tamron 70-200mm USD, which also features weather sealing and has an internal focusing motor. I passed on the Tamron because it felt flimsy/poorly constructed, and the internal focusing motor wasn't as fast or as accurate as the SAL70200G2's. The G2's upfront price is higher than I had expected, but it will pay for itself over time.

The Tamron's (A009) build quality is better than the model that its replacing (A001), but it pales in comparison to the older SAL70200G or even the Minolta 80-200mm G (most of which are still being used 20 plus years after it was originally introduced). The Tamron is ill-suited for outdoor activities. If money is tight I recommend buying the older Sony SAL70200G (only because replacement parts for the old minolta's are hard to find). Also the Tamron's used value will likely deteriorate rapidly as first generation SAL70200G's flood the used camera lens market.

I compared it to my other G-Series/SSM equipped telephoto zooms lenses, because comparing a telephoto zoom to prime lens is just stupid. I didn't compare it against the SAL75300, because its not even in the same league.

I took all of my pictures mid-day during a major winter storm. I choose the harsh conditions to take pictures of the falling snow, and the snow accumulation on the trees. I can confirm that the weather sealing is more than adequate.

The SAL70200G2 has a noticeable IQ improvement over the older model. It may physically appear similar to the older model, but internally it has more going on. The new coatings help but the extra 2x ED elements may actually be the reason for the improvement. It wasn't designed with today's A-Mounts in mind but rather tomorrows.

All Sony did with this lens is correct the flaws of the previous model. Its sharp at all focal lengths. They just pulled out the check list, and methodically changed only the bits and pieces that needed revision.

The 70200G2 is exceptionally well built, and it is heavy. Its very front heavy when attached to the A77. I had to attach the battery grip just to balance it out. It felt at home/properly balanced on the A850, which is the camera I bought the lens for. I will likely keep the 70300G for occasions when the extra weight is not required.

It looks, feels, and performs like professional lens should, which is something clients expect, because at the end of the day they’re the ones paying for our services. The matching hood was a nice touch, though completely unnecessary. The new SSM II is faster than my other lenses equipped with the original SSM. I doubt the new auto focus motor is 4x faster than the previous models.

The lens has an excellent colour rendition, which is similar in appearance to the SAL70400G. It is sharper than the SAL70300G telephoto-zoom, and the SAL70400G. The lens showed slight barrel distortion at 70mm. It also showed a marginal degree of pincushion distortion at 200mm. Nothing to worry about in real world conditions. I did notice slight vignetting at 70mm - F/2.8, but I really had to look hard to find it.

I feel this lens was a good purchase.

negative:The price was $500.00 higher than it should have been. Its heavy, and it will take some time to get used to. Its twice the price of the flimsy Tamron 70-200mm USD.
comment:I recommend this lens only if you don't already own the previous model. I also recommend the SAL70200G2 if you are an outdoor enthusiast that needs a weather sealed lens in this focal length.

It should be noted that current specs on the american websites below is a link to the SAL70200G2 info on the global website

I have to thank alphafuturefan for identifying inaccurate information currently found on the american retail websites.