Sony AF 24-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by NIKO

reviewer#10507 date: Sep-12-2012
compared to:Minolta 24-105 f3.5-4.5, KM 28-75 f2.8 & Zeiss 16-80 f3.5-4.5
positive:Good range (for me) on APS-C sensors. Reasonably sharp. Good build. Accurate focus.
negative:Fringing on high contrast situations.
comment:I just picked up this little gem brand new from Canada. I missed my Minolta 24-105 and had a chance to get this lens as a replacement so I did.

High Notes: on APS-C sensored cameras it gives "me" a good range. Is it sharp? Yes, reasonably so. However, if you want cutting edge sharpness a Zeiss 16-80 may be your better bet; particularly on the zoom end. However, this lens really gives you that Minolta color & image style/feel. It's build is somewhat better than the Minolta 24-105. Yes, it's similar, but it's different as well. It's focus ring (compared to the Minolta one I had) is fairly smoother. The zoom ring is somewhat stiffer, but consistant. Focus is fast and accurate. More accurate on the wide end then the Zeiss 16-80 has demonstrated. On film it is AWESOME!! Clearly a lens specifically designed for film (yes, I know it was designed for film back in the day). I thought the colors for film was just superb.

Low Notes: The fringing in high contrast situations (mainly sun lit) is the same as the Minolta version when shooting digitally. Stopping down helps a lot, but doesn't erradicate the problem. Shouldn't be to much of an issue though. The latest RAW developer software handles the fringing quite well.

In addition, I bought this lens as a walk around lens for general photography. Not for critical shooting where I would use my Zeiss 24-70 instead unless I'm shooting film where I think this lens shines best. It has range, it is light and it is a full frame lens. Hopefully, to be used regularly when I eventually (finally) go full frame digitally. Zoom effect will be reduced when compared to APS-C, but it would give me similar range that the Zeiss 16-80 gives me on APS-C cameras.