Sony AF 24-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by RDoe

reviewer#2930 date: Nov-16-2007
compared to:Sigma 17-70
price paid:450 Euro (new)
positive:- Compact
- Nice range
- Really sharp close up
- Good walk around lens
- Fast focus
- Very good low light focus
negative:- Focus in direct sunlight doesn't work or is very incorrect
- Focus at 105mm at far distance becomes soft, F8 and up does help
- Zoom and focus ring a bit tight
- Not negative, but would have liked to be a constant F4
comment:I love this lens, it's sharp closeup, really sharp. At distance it's good and o.k. at 105mm, but will become soft.
I like this lens for it's compact and good built. Could be a bit better, but nothing to complain about. It's also light, so good walk around lens. The 28-105 minolta, which is older o.k., seemed a bit more plasticky. The Sony doesn't have that feel to me. I would like to give build a 4.5 but only 4 or 5 is aloud.
I trade in my Sigma 17-70 for this lens, because I used this focal length more and it seem sharper at this focal length than the Sigma. This Sigma lens was o.k. but love the Sony more!
Only negative thing is AF in direct sun light stopped completly on my A100 this weekend. But then again photo was crap any way. It also did had some lensflare, nothing to worry about, but that was something I've never seen on the Sigma.
Color is neutral, which is very good, but I prefer a bit more "minolta" color. In the end it is very color correct so 5 point.
Distortion was not noticeable to me in real life and that is important to me. I don't care for lab test sheets.

Did a quick test on the A900, but to my surprise it holds up very well. I think that all negative reviews of this lens on 25MP are out of proportion. It is a very well allround lens. Off course it is no CZ!