Sony AF 35mm F1.4 G A-mount lens review by existensmaximum

reviewer#39930 date: Sep-6-2017
compared to:Minolta 28 mm f/2
Sony 50 mm f/1.4
Minolta 50 mm f/1.4
price paid:€464 (used, EBAY)
positive:Color - The rendition is beyond beautiful! Magical! Superb contrast and saturation, wow!

Bokeh - Absolutely stunning, a dream lens for artistic and dream-like creaminess. I can't praise this enough!

Sharpness - Creates very sharp pictures on my A99 II at 42 MP

Size/weight - Quite compact and easy to carry

Versatility - Incredible walk-around-lens for street photography and almost anything and everything.

Smooth manual focusing

Quick auto focus
negative:The build quality is a bit of a letdown for me, considering the price. The rubber on the bottom side of the lens is about to come off (bad glue?) which seems like a very common issue.
comment:Very usable at f/1.4 but noticeably sharper from f/2, but the bokeh and artistic possibilities you get at f/1.4 are absolutely stunning. Not really usable for portraits in my opinion because of the focal length and distortion, where the 50 mm f/1.4 really shines. Many many leagues better than my Minolta 28 mm f/2 which I never use anymore.

I would never ever pay full price for this lens new, but it's easily worth at least ~500-600 Euros (600-700 USD).