Sony AF 35mm F1.4 G A-mount lens review by lomitamike

reviewer#45603 date: Oct-18-2020
compared to:Minolta 28,f/2, Minolta 35-70f/4, 17-35D.
positive:1.4, color, size
negative:Extremely difficult to work with. Cannot recompose after locking focus at wide apertures.
comment:I've had this lens about 2 1/2 years now.This lens is the most difficult lens to use I have in my collection. But when it gets it right it's a great sharp lens. It's very hard to use with the A-850-900s limited focus points. When shooting from f/1.4 to f/4 DO NOT RECOMPOSE your viewfinder after locking focus. Your subject area will be blurry and you will be frustrated. It's better to use a wider composition to keep focus point on the precise area then crop in post.
With the newer cameras that have more focus points this lens will be much easier to use.

Images reflect the classic Minolta look.
The distortion in this lens can be used to your advantage when you get used to it's characteristics. Flare is not bad at all for a wide lens.

It has it's purpose for my style of shooting which would include portraits in small rooms or portraits that include a large portion of landscape. Using my older 900 & 850 it does not get used as much as I would like.
Maybe the A99II or the LA-EA5 in my future will make it more useful.