Sony AF 50mm F1.4 A-mount lens review by Rebecca

reviewer#9762 date: Jan-6-2012
compared to:Sony 35 f1.8
price paid:300 USD (used, ex)
positive:Sharp.
Good for taking photos of people. Handles low light really well.
Quick focus.
Light weight & small.
negative:None
comment:This is a beginner's eye review. I hope it will help another beginner. This is a nice lens for taking photos of people. It lets in a lot of light, but the focal length kind of crowds you in smaller indoor situations. I have a smaller sensor, (a55 camera) so, if I understand correctly, that means I get an automatic crop when I take a photo with this lens, which is probably why it crowds me when I take photos with it in small spaces.
I may be wrong, but it actually seems to me that the Sony 35 f1.8 is a little bit sharper. That's not really a problem for taking pictures of people, since most of us want and need a more forgiving lens. Also, this lens is much sharper than the inexpensive zooms I've tried.
This lens is small, lightweight and portable. Since it's only one focal length, it allows you to learn what it will do at different f stops. You could probably do the same thing with a zoom, but adding focal length to the variables would mean that it would take more practice to get there.