Sony AF 50mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by Webguyyy

reviewer#4378 date: Nov-14-2008
compared to:Sony 100mm F2.8
price paid:$375 CDN (used)
positive:Compact, lightweight, sharp. Faster focusing than the Sony 100mm F2.8. Build quality.
negative:Recessed front element (hard to reach to clean).
Short working distance (to be expected).
comment:Already had the Sony 100mm F2.8, but thought the 50mm F2.8, would be a nice size for travel, since it's quite compact (3/8" longer than my 50mm F1.4), wider field of view and had a chance to get a 4 month old copy for an excellent price. With the closer working distance, I wasn't sure how useful it would be, but I admit I was quite surprised overall. The 50mm F2.8, definitely has some advantages over the 100mm F2.8 Sony - smaller, lighter, less expensive, greater depth of field, wider field of view and to my surprise it focuses faster than the 100mm F2.8 Sony (I expected it to be slower focusing like a typical macro lens). It's a well built little lens, quite sharp as all macros are suppose to be. Better build quality than the less expensive Sigma 50mm F2.8. The smaller size of the 50mm is easier to hold steady, compared to the 100mm. Great for those that want a well built less expensive macro lens, require closer working distances, want a compact macro lens for travel or a dual purpose macro/portrait lens for a c sensor camera. Being 50mm it makes a nice portrait focal length lens on a c sensor camera (not as fast as the 1.7's or 1.4's but not bad). Overall, I was quite surprised, how much I like the compact 50mm macro.