Sony AF 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM A-mount lens review by joestealthmode

Inside focus ring
negative:f/4.5-5.6
Made out of plastic
62mm filter
comment:I got this open box used for $450 so I really can't complain. I am a person who loves prime lenses so Zoom lenses are a bit foreign to my style. I have a feeling I will be using this more at 70 and 300 than anything else. This is an ISO 400-800 lens unless it is a perfectly sunny day. The colors are magnificent, definitely worthy of the G designation. The lens is blazing fast to acquire and super quiet. I wish it was 2.8, but I can't complain as it was very inexpensive. I do like the short focus distance and I really like the inside focus ring. Can't wait to test on the A99.

Updated on 10/12/2012 to reflect testing on A900. This lens is amazingly bright on the A900 and the background smoothing is quite nice, even at f/5.6 on the longer lengths. My favorite part about this lens is it is sharp wide open. Most zooms need to be stopped down to be sharp corner-to-corner and this lens delivers out of the gate.

Updated on 1/4/2013 to reflect use on A99. I sold this lens in lieu of the Minolta 200mm f/2.8 HS APO. I just didn't use it as much as my other lenses. That being said, the lens served me well enough. Had it been AF-D enabled, it would have been harder for me to get rid of. The main reasons I got rid of the lens was the way it extended when it was zoomed out and the 62mm filter.