Sony AF 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II A-mount lens review by MAStough

reviewer#11873 date: Jun-20-2014
price paid:2098.00
positive:solid build, sharp at any mm, no distortion (that I can see), SUPER FAST auto
negative:heavy, hood is cheap, hood prevents variable ND filter use (causing glare with filter use, no weather sealing
comment:I considered the 70200 f/2.8 but after a bad experience with the 2470 f/2.8 Z from Sony (sloppy fit to camera body), and that lens "II" model $1000 more expensive, I opted not. Boy, and I not sad about that decision! Others reviews convinced me of the light quality and I confess, they were right! It is an outstanding lens. I could not be happier with the reach and quality I get for wildlife, landscape, and sports. Definitely need a monopod or tripod for use. I've gotten amazing 'strawberry moon' shots as it arrived days before the date, excellent chipmunks and bird shots on the monopod (with A99 body), and am too excited to wait for the Alaska trip in August. You will not be disappointed with this lens.