Sony AF 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II A-mount lens review by Jozioau

reviewer#12164 date: Mar-7-2015
compared to:SAL70400G1
SAL70200G
price paid:AU$1,470 as new
positive:Faster focus motor than the SAL70400G1,more pleasing body finish to my taste, solidly built, silent and quick SSM focus, excellent optics sharp at all apertures (mine needed quite a degree of micro focus adjustment, but once having been set, is very sharp).
negative:Not weather sealed, slightly more robust but still rather flimsy plastic hood, zoom ring set forward means it cannot be used when the hood is reverse mounted on body. Bokeh can look a bit harsh if the background is busy.
comment:I wasn't unhappy with the Mark 1 version but saw this one about a year old and as new up for auction on eBay, and won the bidding. I was then able to sell my Mark 1 for little less than the new one cost me, so I'm very happy with the faster focus and the improved nano coatings on the lens elements. IQ is much the same on both, but the faster focus speed is worth having. An excellent lens for wildlife and sports photography, perfectly matched with tha a77ii camera.