Sony AF 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM A-mount lens review by Zachoff1

Quiet
Quick and accurate AF
negative:Large
Silver Color
comment:This is an outstanding lens and it is my go to long lens. Sharp throughout the entire focal range with maybe a little softness at 400mm in lower light situations. It is fast and finds target quickly and accurately. I shoot a lot of birds and this lens makes it quite easy. I am able to zero in on a bird and the AF is right there for multiple shots. AF is nice and quiet and focus hold buttons are easy to find. Before I took the plunge and purchased this lens I tested quite a few Sigmas and Tammys at many camera stores for a few months. I found them not to be as quick and the builds were nowhere near the build of this lens. Older Sigmas of equal focal range sounded like coffee grinders. This lens can also be used quite effectively for portraits as it yields great results hand held. Matched up with my a77, using TC feature and a tripod, I can shoot targets nice and sharp at 1800mm. Bottom line, I love this lens!