Sony AF 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM A-mount lens review by arCreation

-Bokeh
-Colours
negative:-None really
-Heavy
comment:This is a truly incredible lens. I have used this for photojournalism as well as private sporting events.

It has never let me down, I took over 1500 shots with this lens in both AF, MF mode. Mostly sports events. I was using M mode and was keeping the aperture wide open in most cases and its sharpness is out of this world. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG IN BUYING THIS LENS. I even used it in winter conditions for a skiing event and the fact it wasn't weather sealed didn't affect it in any way, it stayed outdoors for the better part of 8 hours at temperatures of -5 to -15 and performed perfectly.

Ideally I suggest you step it down one stop if doing sports just to give you a bit more of DOF.

You will need a mono pod to stabilize this lens and take the weight out of your shoulders. Handheld shooting is possible but practically impossible for extended periods of time due to the weight of the lens.

I used it on the A65 as well as the A850.

I think this lens really shines on the A65/A77 giving you 105-600mm reach with amazing sharpness and a lighter body than the A850.