Sony AF DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II A-mount lens review by Aiduco

compared to:SONY DT 50mm F1.8
Minolta AF 35-80mm F4-5.6 II
price paid:came with camera-kit
positive:-Very sharp wide open
-super sharp when stopped down
-vibrant colors, for me almost minolta colors
-very well improved 2nd version of older sony af dt 18-55mm SAM lens
-light
-build quality
-great IQ
-Quiet AF compared to my other lenses
-very fast af
-good flare control
-OK Bokeh
negative:-slight distortion on wide end (18mm)
-a bit useless hood that has to be purchased separately, but i understand for 18mm hood cannot be any longer
comment:This lens is hell of a glass! It´s milion times better than the original first generation Sony DT 18-55mm SAM. From what I have seen with other cameras, I can say this is the best kit lens amongs any brands (even competition such as nikon and canon) you can get. Colors are great, sharpness is amazing, build quality is ok for a kit lens (at least mine is). It´s really great performer on all lenghts. Oh, and it´s light. It´s way sharper (and beter in every way) than Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 , and Minolta AF 35-80mm. I can say in some situations it´s even sharper than sony DT 50mm F1.8 prime lens. But thats only my opinion. also image quality is fantastic, and I consider this lens quiet when I compare it to my prime 50mm and old minolta. AF is very fast as well.
Flare control is good, much better than on minolta lenses. Even though hood is a bit useles. I got this lens with my SLT A-58 and I can say I never experienced such fantastic kit lens. After almost 1yr of usage, I can only recomend.