Sony AF DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM A-mount lens review by halrui

reviewer#8461 date: Dec-29-2010
compared to:sony 50mm 1.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM DG
Sony DT 35mm 1.8
price paid:136 USD (Used)
Very Very Cheap
Dual usage Walk about & Macro lens for APS-C
negative:A plastic toy
comment:Ever since i started out into primes i have forgotten about using my 18-250mm Zoom. Prime lens are light, quick focus and super on low light, indoors and night. My most preferred prime on A700 is my Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM. But the focal length is not the most ideal for group portraits or the Streets. I wanted something wider occasionally. I shortlisted between the DT 30mm macro and the new DT 35mm 1.8. I was lucky to find a mint condition used DT 30mm 2.8 lens for a very reasonable price.

Given its price I can't complain the DT 30mm 2.8 isn't one bit disappointing. its super light and can be put in your side pocket. I dont mind the plastic build quality as the IQ, Sharpness and quick focus is very good. Plus the focal length on APS-C turns 45mm which is great for an everyday lens. Bokeh may not be as smooth n creamy as the Sigma or DT 50mm but is descent. It doubles up as a macro too. I have captured some nice photos of flowers and even car details.

Those of you who already have a 50mm i suggest to buy this lens for your prime collection. Its an essential. For the ones who do not have a 50mm i suggest to check out the DT 35mm 1.8. It a very new lens in the easy choice collection and seems promising on reviews.