Sony AF DT 50mm F1.8 SAM A-mount lens review by flashx
|flashx#10088 date: Apr-4-2012|
flare control: 5
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||Minolta 50mm f/1.7|
Sony DT 35mm f/1.8
|price paid:||$123 USD (new)|
|positive:||- Sharpness is great especially stopped down to f/2.5 and beyond|
- Lens compensation profile with A77
- Very nice colours renditions compared to those entry level 50mm lenses from Nikon and Canon.
- AF is quite fast.
|negative:||- AF tends to be a bit inaccurate that is fixable on A77 with micro-adjustments|
- AF hunts slightly in low-light situations.
- SAM AF motor sounds like an ungreased robotic arm. I personally found it really annoying. The SAM motor sounds much better on my 35mm f/1.8.
- AF noise makes it not suitable for video work. Photo is fantastic.
|comment:||The Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens for photo. It's much better than all the kit lens except the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8. The 50mm f/1.8 is great for portraits photo work but falls short with annoying motor noises for video.|
Also, the build isn't as bad as some people will say about a plastic mount. The weight from using the plastic mount is a benefit and I think it's just cause for leaving the metal mount and sturdier body in the 50mm 1.4 model.
If you want to take great portraits and be able to bear with the motor noises, Sony DT 50mm 1.8 is one lens you should consider.