Sony AF DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 51    1 2 >>
reviewer#44345 date: Aug-14-2019
compared to:Multiple zooms, Minolta A mount, Sigma A Mount, Minolta MC and MD on mirrorless. Sony kit lenses.
price paid:46 GBP (used)
positive:Sharper than I expected. Lightweight.
negative:Not much for the price I paid. I may have been a bit critical if I'd paid book price.
comment:Great used lens at the price. It's a real walkaround companion recently on my A68.
reviewer#21447 date: Dec-4-2015
compared to:Sony E 55-210mm f/4-6.3
Minolta A 100-200mm f/4.5
positive:relatively small and light weight
very useful focal range
F/4 all the way to 100mm
dirt cheap
negative:front element rotates
you can't carry the lens with the hood mounted backwards because it covers the zoom ring
comment:I think this lens is under-appreciated, particularly once you compare it to the E-mount version. I'm using this lens, with adapter, on the A6000 body and it is a very nice size and weight for that use. Up to 100mm this lens and the E-mount version look the same; above 100mm, this lens has much better IQ. The old Minolta zoom is a little better wide open, but a stop down and the differences are not significant. I see that reviewers don't think much of the build quality of this lens. I'll admit I haven't owned my copy long enough to tell if it will outlive me. But, I don't care, because I can buy 2 of these and it will still be cheaper than buying 1 of the E-mount version.
reviewer#20403 date: Oct-31-2015
compared to:- Minolta 75-300 (the silver version)
- Minolta 70-210 (beercan)
price paid:part of A300 kit
positive:- It's size. Very compact lens
negative:- It's not as sharp as I thought it would be
comment:Got this more then 6 years ago as part of my A300 kit lens. Never used it (I don't shoot birds, animals). I tested it at the back of my house, making shots of my back neighbours 30 meters away.

I was surprised that this kit lens performed worse than the 17 year old cheapo plastic fantastic Minolta 75-300. It's not as sharp as the other two lenses I got. It's also has Bokeh/CA issues, purple fringing, so you need to do some post processing with Lightroom, DXO or other software.

Little bit soft at first few stops and at the end.

reviewer#15257 date: May-25-2015
Minolta AF 70-210 F4.5-5.6 I/II
Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II USM
Nikon AF-P DX 70-300 F4.5-6.3 ED VR
Tokina 80-200 F2.8 AT-X Pro
price paid:60 USD (refurbished)
positive:Center sharpness wide-open
Small and light
Fairly fast (100 mm f/4, 150 mm f/4.5)
Close focusing
Parfocal
Nice deep hood
Lens Compensation Support
negative:Focus control is small and loose
Zoom control is somewhat sticky and uneven
Moderate pincushion distortion at most focal lengths
Some veiling glare wide open
comment:I ordered this new with the A58 for $50 and enjoyed using it. I sold this copy after purchasing the 55-300 but missed the smaller lens. So, I ordered a second refurbished one for $60. This copy may perform better than the first one. A third copy came with a used A65 and is sharper than the second copy. The current retail price is $200. "MADE IN CHINA"

F4 up to 100 mm
F4.5 from 105 to 150 mm
F5 at 160 mm

It is small and light and reasonably fast to focus. The small rubber focus ring isn't as nice as the wider ones on the longer zooms, but it is much easier to use than the hard plastic ones on many of the Minolta AF lenses. Focus accuracy using SAM is also better than the old Minolta lenses.

The 55-200 performs similarly to the 55-300 at the longer end of their shared range. AF is slow but accurate on both DT telephoto zooms. The 55-200 hunts less than the 55-300 probably due to its more limited range. It displays a similar amount of purple fringing as the 55-300.

This lens is incredibly sharp wide-open even on a 2X teleconverter. It is much sharper than the original Minolta AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5 or even the longer macro lenses. It is also much sharper in the center than the DT 55-300, but the later has much better corners.

At close distances the 55 mm wide end is similar in angle of view to the 70 mm settings on the shorter internal focus normal zooms. At close focus there is a gap between the long end of the 18-55 and the short end of the 55-200, but they have a similar field-of-view at infinity. At close focus 200 mm on the 18-200 is close to 135 mm on this lens.

SAM works reasonably well with the chipped Kenko DGX teleconverters. It also works with the pass-through Kenko 1.5X TELEPLUS DG teleconverter. SAM does not work properly with older 8-pin chipped 2X teleconverters or the pass-through Promaster Spectrum 1.7X.

Overall great performance from such a cheap lens. It might not have the character of the older Minolta lenses, but it is much sharper in the center at least. It is definitely a good kit deal with a new camera purchase. It compliments the range of the normal zoom while performing much better than them.
reviewer#12125 date: Feb-9-2015
compared to:My firts zoom lens-It's really good :-)
positive:Good lens for begginers,perfect portrait,landscape,macro, for photographing animals too :-)
The lens isn't large :-)
negative:I dont know :D
comment:Super zoom lens for begginer :-)
Iam maximal satisfied
reviewer#11654 date: Jan-31-2014
compared to:* Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DT SAM II
* Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT SAM
* Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT SAM
* Minolta 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (Original)
* Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (Beercan)
* Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX-II
price paid:140 AUD
positive:* Colour contrast and flare control
* Very light and small size for focal length, fits in pocket
* Cheap on used market
* Compatible with in camera lens correction on some Sony camera bodies
negative:* Soft image quality, does not come close to showing the potential of more recent Sony camera body sensors
* Extremely harsh and distracting Bokeh
* Below average autofocus speed
* Focus hunts more than other lens in low light conditions
* Cheap, plastic build quality
* Not as versatile as the 55-300mm DT, the original Minolta Beercan is also better both in price and everything else
comment:This lens is built to a price and it shows both in build and image quality which also makes some of the other "5" sharpness ratings a surprise.

It is well suited for casual photographers who want a telephoto for small prints that is also both light and small.

Image quality is soft at all focal ranges, even when stepped down to f/5.6-8.

Bokeh is very harsh and distracting at all apertures. I would consider it to be one of the worst performing in this category.

Lens has the benefit of modern lens coatings and it shows with the punchy colour contrast and flare control.

I strongly recommend those who either have purchased a camera body only or with this lens in their kit to consider upgrading to another if they wish to maximise the potential of the Sony sensor.

For those who are only interested in small prints or want a telephoto that fits in a small bag this lens would make more sense if purchased with the kit or on the used market at a lower price than new.

My recommendation would be to avoid this lens unless budget, size and weight is an issue. I would recommend the 55-300mm DT which has fifty percent more reach at the cost of the same increase in price, weight and size as it is more versatile.

If you do not mind a few minutes post processing the better original Minolta 70-210mm f/4 which can usually be found at the same or cheaper price used is also much better.
reviewer#11645 date: Jan-30-2014
compared to:Minolta 75-300 f4.5-5.6.
Minolta 28-100mm
Tamron 28-200mm
Tamron 80-210mm F3.8-4 (adaptall)
Paragon 300mm f5.6
Soligor 400mm f6.3
Miranda 200mm f3.5 (35mm film)
price paid:£80 s/h in shop
positive:Excellent zoom range, compact and light weight, with good balance around the neck. Good colour, clarity, and no obvious distortion issues.
Very good at or near full aperture (see slrgear review)
With careful MF can be extremely sharp.
Circular iris gives no sunstars at all!
negative:Tricky manual focussing
AF mechanically not good enough for pixel-pushing.
Results usually soft at 200mm
comment:I use this lens a lot and it's a good walk-around lens when you're not taking wide-angle pics, and if you frame pictures as you take them it's fine. It has good colour, contrast, and no big issues with colour fringing, so it's very good value for money. Like all the latest Sony lenses, lens coating is excellent and helps make the lens much more resistant to both flare and veiling than many (most) older lenses, Minolta and others.
Fully retracted, its short length and light weight make it fine to leave on a camera around the neck, which isn't true of some other 200mm lenses (let alone the 75-300mm Minolta!)
and as it has the same 55mm filter ring as the 18-55mm kit zoom it makes a good pair with that lens.

The AF is fine most of the time, but like most modern compact zooms, manual focussing is not enjoyable due to the thin ring, loose fit and short travel. For manual focussing, give me the Minolta 75-300mm every time.

But, results at the telephoto end of the range always look soft to me, often disappointingly so, and for birding or water sports or anything challenging, it just isn't sharp enough to stand extensive digital zooming or cropping, and is completely outclassed in resolution by readily available older lenses, let alone expensive new ones.
If you're pushing the pixels to the limit on a budget, the old Minolta 75-300 is far sharper although it is much larger and heavier and doesn't have quite as good flare control. Optically the old adaptall-mount Tamron 80-210 is far superior, faster and bitingly sharp even with the 2x SP TC on it for 400mm. But then the Tamron is twice the length and weight, and is full manual to boot. It all depends what you want . . .

EDIT1:
I may be wrong in saying the lens is soft at 200mm, since when focussed correctly in carefully controlled indoor tests it proved to be sharp even at full aperture, and this is confirmed outdoors when manually focussed. However getting it focussed well enough for pixel peeping is non-trivial due to the limitations of the electronic and mechanical focussing servo system. I found that AF isn't reliable enough to show the lens limits, and manual focussing it to the required degree (for pixel pushing) is tricky without a tripod, since although the anti-shake stabilisation helps to combat shake while the shutter is open, it doesn't helping you focus!
Not a problem in normal use, but focussing these kind of lenses for ultimate resolution looks like a significant issue to me. The bottom line is that if you take the usual precautions and focus it manually with bright red focus peaking, it can be very sharp indeed even at 200mm and f5.6-8, but in casual use with AF near 200mm, it isn't reliably sharp.

EDIT2: Did some tests which showed the lens is back-focussing by 1% (10cm at 10m approx.). Not much, but significant at medium to close distances. My A58 doesn't have an adjuster for this so I correct by spot focussing slightly in front when needed, which is not often. Still one of may favourite lenses, though, and great for butterflies.

EDIT3: I've used this lens on my film camera (colour prints only). Maybe some combination of focal length and aperture may show issues, but I have not noticed any vignetting or light fall-off in the corners either in the viewfinder or on prints.
reviewer#11215 date: Jun-29-2013
compared to:Minolta AF xi 80-200
price paid:150 EUR
positive:-silent
-very good results for its price
negative:-can't think of any
comment:This lens does it's job well, no matter if it is used on my former A330 with 10MP on my former A58 and now on my A68. For non-professional photographers like me this is a good objective for my holidays. I never get bad comments on the results of my pictures so I don't worry about the quality of my lens.
reviewer#10765 date: Dec-9-2012
compared to:Sony 18-135
Sony 70-300g
price paid:£80 - mint
positive:Compact & lightweight, useful range
negative:Plastic mount
comment:Good value, espececially at the price I paid!
I purchased because it is not always practical or popular to use larger lens in public places.
Very reasonable performnce on a57.
reviewer#10637 date: Nov-2-2012
price paid:200€
positive:
negative:not sharp over 100mm
very slow AF
comment:I bought this lens to complement my Sony 16-50/2.8. I read so many positive reviews here on dyxum, I thought this would be a good lens.

Well, I returned it the next day I got it. Very soft beyond 100mm and the autofocus was very slow. Between 55 and 100mm it was ok, but the poor performance at the longer end was something I cannot accept.

I have had Sony 70-300g and no need to say that it is a much better lens, IQ/AF and build quality. You get what you pay for.

Returned it and bought me a tripod instead.
reviewer#10570 date: Oct-6-2012
compared to:Sony SAL 18-70mm DT
positive:Colour, Size, Sharp, Affordable,
negative:None! Considering the overall results at a given PRICE
comment:I am completely new to DSLR and shooting with Sony A200 with SAL 18-70mm DT was always a disappointment, keeping me in doubt about my shooting skills and the camera I bought. Then, came this SAL 55200 DT that completely changed my perception with pictures that stunned me.
Overall, I found many people giving negative feedback on this lens for being made of plastics. Well! given the all round quality and the price that I pay for this lens does not leave me any room to give any negative judgement for any other reason. Therefore, its a winner in my List. Thanks
reviewer#10495 date: Sep-7-2012
price paid:double KIT
positive:Nice colours

Better portrait lens than 18-55 KIT
negative:Sometimes focus hunting, not only in dark places
comment:For wildlife- 200mm is far too close to shoot some nice bird pictures from tall trees or tiger in the far corner of its cage, or if the bird is smaller, like sparrow, you can’t even catch on focus it, cos it’s moving all the time, even if it’s just a few meters in front of you. With such small birds, focus hunting is very annoying. If you get some sharp shoots, after cropping, they are +/- normal to show to someone. I tried to shoot squirrels in local park, at 2-3m distance, pictures was pretty good, but, that’s only because they were waiting for nuts and didn’t moved around very much :D

For portraits- it’s a much better shooter than original kit 18-55. I took many portraits with this lens and I can’t remember how many I took with my KIT. Before I bought my fast prime lens, this was my favourite for portraits.

Overall, I really like the colours, the weight of lens and build quality is a bit better than 18-55. Also, the hood is pretty good and useful.

And as other mentioned that focus hunting in dark places is very typical, I tested it for few still life pictures in candlelight, result was pretty good, my camera can’t do better, it lacks of infra “eye” for night focus.
reviewer#10294 date: Jun-13-2012
compared to:minolta 75-300 mm II
price paid:free (lens kit)
positive:Light, cheap, sharp
negative:plastic mount, rotate filter when focusing, hunting AF in low light
comment:I like this lens cause light, cheap and sharp. But in F4 some flare.
reviewer#10157 date: Apr-29-2012
compared to:Sigms 70-300 APO DG.
Minolta Beercan 70-210mm
price paid:£149 new
positive:Really sharp at all focal lengths.
Light to carry.
negative:Some CA at F4
comment:Only had this lens for a few days and find it very sharp at all focal lengths. Pixel peeping at 200% shows lots of sharp fine detail with Sony 24MP.Nice and light, good lens hood.
reviewer#10135 date: Apr-22-2012
fairly inexpensive
Snort focus distance
comment:
reviewer#10042 date: Mar-21-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (beercan)
Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 New
positive:None
negative:imprecisely rings
poor sharpness
noisy AF
fatal plasticy,
miserable color,
trashy build
comment:I hate this lens. Typical cheap, plastic Chinese junk. Turned back to the seller.
reviewer#9952 date: Feb-20-2012
compared to:70-210 beercan
100-200 little beercan
price paid:$199 new
positive:lightweight
sharp
fairly inexpensive
negative:None for the price
comment:This lens has proven to be sharper than the 100-200 little beercan and maybe sharper than my old 70-210 beercan. My example is excellent! The build is plastic, but a quality build however.

You can find this lens used for next to nothing. I'm keeping this lens & the matching 18-55 SAM for my 5D's. They make a great travel set.
reviewer#9862 date: Jan-30-2012
compared to:Sony 70-300G, Sigma 70-300, Minolta 70-210/4
price paid:110 (New)
positive:Sharp, compact, cheap.
negative:None for the price.
comment:This lens is wonderful for travel. Its compact, its light, and its sharp. I find that I rarely take my 70-300G on trips anymore because the 55-200 gives similarly excellent results in a much smaller package. I haven't used the 70-300G in months and will probably sell it because the 55-200 does such a good job. Sure it has plastic build but it never feels cheap. SAM is a non-issue for me. It doesn't seem any louder or any quieter than a regular lens. I'm still not sure the point of that technology.
reviewer#9860 date: Jan-29-2012
compared to:Minolta 70-210/4
Sony 70-300G
positive:- Very good IQ (excellent for price)
- Light - good match for ligher cams
- Inexpensive
negative:- Fairly noisy AF
- SAM does not support AF/MF button on higher-level cams
comment:This lens was on clearance for $50 new - too good to pass up. It is an excellent complement to the 18-55 SAM that came with my wife's A55. Build seems a bit better than the 18-55 and not bad for a kit-type lens. This lens provides very good IQ (excellent for the price range) and is well worth the $200 MSRP.

The only real downside is the SAM AF motor. The AF is pretty quick and very accurate but it seems just as noisy as the screw drive. The main disadvantage to SAM IMO is that it doesn't support the AF/MF button found on 7-series and above cameras. But given it is targeted below this level it might not be that big of an issue.
reviewer#9828 date: Jan-21-2012
compared to:Minolta 75-300
Minolta 75-300 New
Sigma 70-210 UC II
price paid:65 GBP mint
positive:Very sharp, even at max. aperture(s)
Colour rendition.
Lightweight
negative:Bit plasticy- but no worse than many other modern lenss
comment:At focal lengths 70-200 sharper than the others!!!!

Equally sharp at 55mm. A bargain lens.

Forget that it is a 'kit' lens - buy one, you won't regret it
reviewer#9695 date: Dec-17-2011
Light
durable
Snort focus distance
negative:none for the price
comment:This is imho a must have lens, do not get fooled by the price it perforns very well and the focus distance on 200mm is still ultra low for a telelens , it comes with a hood
i can recommend it.. (and yes i am critical)
reviewer#9345 date: Aug-19-2011
compared to:kitlens 18-55mm
Sony 35mm 2.8 SAM
price paid:€169
positive:relatively cheap
lightweight
negative:very fuzzy
comment:Did I get a lemon? I got this lens same time as the other two. I must admit being spoiled coming from an analogue Hasselbad Xpan, but sharpness is low and colors are all over the place. It looks and feels like a cheap bit of plastic. Compared to the 18-55 I guess it's about the same quality, but above 150mm CA seems to take over and sharpness looks like I've gone overboard with the sharpening tool in Photoshop. The fixed focus 35mm does much better. It should, it's less cheap than this zoom.

Cannot say much about build quality; I've only just got it. Distortion isn't that noticable.
reviewer#9193 date: Jun-29-2011
price paid:0 (part of a kit)
Color
Light
negative:Build
Focus ring
comment:I got this lens as part of a kit and was surprised about the performance of it!

It's sharp stopped down, has nice colors in good light and is light due to the plastic build, which is also it's biggest limitation. Also, the focus ring isn't really usable.

I always take it with me while traveling.
reviewer#9005 date: May-10-2011
compared to:beercan and Tamron 70-200 Ff2.8
positive:Lightweight, sharpness, image quality, Price
negative:Not made out of metal
comment:I tested this lens against the beercan and Tamron 70-200, It beat the beercan in every image at every F stop in terms of sharpness and image quality. It even beat the Tamron 70-200 at certain F-stops but the Tamron beats it the vast majority of the time. I was looking for a light telephoto lens for times I don't need the Tamron and its fast F2.8. I had the Beercan and this lens beats the Beercan hands down in every instance and its only 1/2 of the weight. Not sure that I care that its not made out of metal.

Tom DeHoff
Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Sony 55-200, Beercan, Tamron 70-200, tamron 200-400 and Tamron 90 macro.
reviewer#8996 date: May-8-2011
compared to:Sigma, Tamron same category
price paid:110 usd
positive:surprisingly sharp, light and a great medium zoom lens
negative:platic mount, nothing out of the ordinary.
comment:This is a terrific lens. I use this lenes for sports, nature and family activites outside. It is sharp, clean, and crisp. For the price this is absolutely a steal.

This lens perfoms just as good, and if not better then some expensive lens. Truely the only drawback is the plastic mount, but there has never been any reports of any breakng. But that is it!!!!

Color is great, very satisfied, again the pics are clean and crisp. On my a580 I could not be happier as this lens stays on my camera the majority of the time for outside pics due to it being so light and practical zoom ranges.

This lens does great in sunny to overcast days!!!

I sledom need to go wider as I adjust my distances to take wider pics outside. Usually there is all kinds of space outside to adjust. Over all you will be very satisfied and happy with this lens, as its a wonderful medium zoom lens.
reviewer#8904 date: Apr-10-2011
price paid:0 (kit lens)
Colour
Compactness
negative:plastic mount
comment:TBH I wasn't expecting much from this lens (included as part of my a55V twin lens kit) but after 5 months ownership it continues to surprise with its sharpness and colour rendition. Based on my experience with it (and digesting numerous lens reviews here) I felt confident to purchase a couple of other Sony "easy-choice" DT SAM lenses (50/1.8 & 30/2.8Macro) as inexpensive "niche" lenses. These DT lenses "feel" cheap due to being largely made of plastic/polycarbonate, but give surprisingly good results for low-cost, general-purpose lenses. Bigger money buys better glass, sure, but for what they cost I can't really fault them.

Would I have bought a DT 55-200 if one hadn't been included with the camera? Probably not, but having said that I'm in no hurry to get rid of mine either.
reviewer#8902 date: Apr-9-2011
compared to:Vivitar 60-300 (listed as Cosina)
Minolta 100-200 f4.5
Minolta 100-300 APO
Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 LD
price paid:36 GBP mint
positive:Very sharp
Good colour (for Sony)
Portable
negative:None for the price
comment:Very good lightweight lens. Can't fault it for the price, excellent value.
reviewer#8817 date: Mar-22-2011
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f/4 Beercan
Color
Weight
negative:not much
comment:Can keep up with the Beercan at 200 mm, below 150mm the Beercan gives better pictures, especially at the corners, and has overall less CA. The Sony 55-200 features Minolta-like colors. It's my favorite telephoto zoom for hiking and travelling. For the price it's a steal!
reviewer#8769 date: Mar-10-2011
price paid:128.00 USD New
positive:Light weight, good range
negative:Build quality is comparable to the price paid. They could have used a metal mount
comment:I happen to be on Ebay late one night, and this guy was going off, and no one had bid on it. I put a low bid in, and won.
This little lens has really surprised me. My copy is relatively sharp at F4, and gets better at 5.6. Both ends are sharp, which i think is rare in this lens. Everything must have lined up perfectly here. I will not be selling this little gem any time soon.
reviews found: 51    1 2 >>