Sony AF DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 A-mount lens review by lyn

positive:Light Weight
Range
Macro (close up images)
negative:Nothing considering Cost
comment:Excellent lightweight lens and very usable range. This was my long zoom on a hectic trip to Italy this spring. It did very well. I was able to get shots with it that I would have missed only packing the Sony 16-105mm which did incredibly well.

I am also very impressed with what you could call Macro shots (you can't get close to your subject. Minimum focus is around 4 feet I think) with this little lens. It takes very sharp close ups with decent bokeh for the money. I wouldn't put it up against my 70-300mm G lens, but it's very impressive bang for the buck.

When I pack two cameras for hiking up in the Rockies this goes on my KM7D, the 16-105mm on the a700 along with the 70-300mm G strapped on my lumbar pack .
Nice to have a lightweight lens like this for quick captures that otherwise I might miss trying to pull up the 70-300mm.

This lens produces much better images than the 'compared to' list above. I tried them for walk around/all-in-one lens for travel, but was very disappointed in them as they produced unusable soft images. I have not tried the 18-250, but doubt that I will considering cost, and I'm not willing to give up either the 16mm zoom or 300G lens and that would make the 18-250 a costly and redundant lens. The 55-200mm makes a nice back up or lightweight travel option if that's a major concern.

If you're looking for nice quality images in an inexpensive/light weight package try this lens.