Sony AF DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 A-mount lens review by Robokeh

reviewer#7261 date: Apr-7-2010
compared to:Sigma 70-300 APO
Minolta 70-210 f4 (Beercan)
price paid:€ 120,- (new)
Light, easy to carry
Smooth zoomring
negative:Distortion
muted colors
Plastic mount
comment:I own this lens since jan. 2009 when I bought it with the A300 and it still serves me well on my A700.

* Sharpness is amazing for such a light lens and better than the lenses I compare it with (even the beercan!).

* Colors are muted and being a matter of taste I however would have liked to see more sparkling, deeper colors. CA is sometimes present in high contrast pictures but never a real life problem (MUCH better than the beercan in this respect).

* The build of this lens is good, despite being completely plastic. The zoom and focus rings are smooth (!), much much better than the Sigma 70-300, which is not smooth at all. Lens mount is also plastic. I prefer the Beercan build; indestructible but therefore also heavier.

* The only thing that annoys me is the distortion that turns up in pictures taken above 135mm. No straight line is left straight and always needs post-processing to correct. (That's the reason I bought a Beercan but it broke after a week and I guess I am stuck with this lens again...)

Conclusion:
Give this lens a change; it deserves a place in your camera bag when you want to travel light. With post-processing on the colors and the distortion you can have quality pictures, looking as if they were made with a much more expensive lens.