Sony Carl Zeiss 135mm F1.8 ZA Sonnar T* A-mount lens review by leonardo

negative:Brick-sized
Pricy
Expensive filters
Slow AF on D7D
comment:The first impression of the beast is - wow, what a brick. Then, after a few shots taken in the back yard, a feeling of "Huh - is that it?" slowly creeped into my mind. I was utterly disappointed.

Two days after that, I went for a nostalgia odysse and really gave it a go. It stood the test with flying colours ! I really wonder what made me so disappointed the first afternoon.

It is by far the best lens I ever have had in my hand ( including the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM ). Sharp, with vivid and saturated colours, and with a lovely bokeh. Putting it on a D7D with a 1.4TC gave me just the reach I needed and I was more than surprised to find pictures more than OK. Nothing of the usual TC degradation was present in the pictures. This is a true keeper - despite the price.

Having migrated from KM D7D to Sony a700, I find this lens an even better companion. It performed well on D7D, but putting it on an a700, turnes out a magnificent lens, quite obviuosly tailored for the a700, and the upcoming Flagship Model I guess. Far better AF perfomance, coupled with eye start, makes it a dream to use. Precise, fast, tack sharp, lovely bokeh and with vivid and satureated colours, without any tweak'n in camera settings. Outstanding performance with a Kenko 300 DG 1.4x TC as well.