Sony Carl Zeiss 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Vario-Sonnar T* A-mount lens review by op1318

reviewer#25494 date: Feb-13-2016
compared to:Sigma 17-35 f:2.8-4
Zeiss 16-80 f:3.5-4.5
Tamron 28-75 f:2.8
price paid:900 EUROS (used)
positive:• Sharpness
• Colors
• Build
• Overall image quality
negative:• Price
• Strong vignetting
comment:Fist, I have to say that I did not buy this lens earlier because I found it too expensive for a wide angle zoom. I don't know why but I find it easier to invest a lot of money in a telephoto lens than in a wide angle…
But since 2010, when I bought my first full frame digital SLR, I have not been happy with all the super wide angle zooms I have tested. For many years, I have been mostly relying on my old Sigma 17-35 which I found less than satisfying.
Finally, I found the Zeiss 16-35 f:2.8 in very good condition at an attractive price, so I bought it.
And I can now say that it is exactly the lens I wanted.
The colors are very pleasing, very natural. The build quality is nice and the lens feels well balanced on a FF body like the A900. I find this lens to be very sharp. I rate it 4.5 only because the extreme corners of the image remain soft from 16 to 24mm but I have to say that even those "soft" extreme corners are considerably sharper than with the Sigma 17-35 mentioned above. The lens suffers of some very strong vignetting but fortunately, it is easily corrected in Lightroom.
I try many lenses, buy some, sell some, and I immediately know when I find the "right one" for me. A lens that makes me want to shoot, a lens that makes me want to try new things. And this one is definitely a keeper!