Sony Carl Zeiss 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Planar T* A-mount lens review by Roby72

compared to:Sony 16-50 SSM
Sony 50 F1.8 SAM
Minolta 50 F1.4
Minolta 50 F1.7
price paid:1200 EUR (new)
positive:Build
Sharpness
Micro-contrast
Color
SSM
Weatherproof
negative:Hood
comment:SHARPNESS is simply outstanding. On my a99 it doesn't need any micro-adjustment because it's simply spot-on!
Center is amazing, also at F1.4. Borders are nice and they quickly improve as you close the aperture.
COLOR is classic Sony-Zeiss. I love them because they are pretty natural without any particular cast.
BUILD is absolutely professional. It's a joy to play with this piece of aluminum and glass. Focus ring is so precise and fluid in its movements that you'll love to manual focus. I find very useful the configurable button on the body. I only think the cheap, plasticy, round hood is an insult for such a lens!
DISTORSION....what? It's a 50mm....what distorsion are we talking about?
FLARES are well controlled in normal conditions. With the horrible hood attached it's very very difficult to obtain lack of contrast or flares etc....

To be honest this is my best lens. I felt in love with it after 5 minute and after the second shot!!! With a77 it is a great portrait lens, on my a99 it's a fabulous normal...if we can call "normal" such a wonderful lens!