Sony Carl Zeiss FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Vario-Tessar T* E-mount lens review by AudioDoc

reviewer#45777 date: Oct-19-2021
compared to:I don't have other FE mounts zooms of this focal length.
I won't compare any zoom lens with primes. Zooms are always a compromise -- practicality vs.best performance.
price paid:$750 used
positive:Build, Color, Size, OSS. It's a Zoom lens of practical focal length, Zeiss (Sony)
negative:The bayonet hood feels a bit crude when attaching.
Distortion at 24mm. Barrel extends when zooming. No rubber seal at the lens mount like my Batis lenses have.
comment:Well it is a zoom lens. I'm not going to foolishly expect it to perform like a prime. Perhaps there were sample variations looking at other reviews here. If so, my copy is very good. I purchased it used for my original A7. It is the lens I often prefer to have on my camera when I take it out of the bag. Otherwise I will mostly use my Zeiss Batis primes. I have not done any scientific testing, but I can tell you the photos I've made with the A7 and A7III look great -- I like the rendering. Size and weight are important to me so I don't need a faster zoom (f 2.8) I mostly go for more depth of field so I shoot stopped down mostly, i.e. f8