Sony Carl Zeiss FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Sonnar T* E-mount lens review by TheEmrys

Color
Contrast
Small
Light
negative:Serial number is on a sticker
comment:This is my favorite lens ever made. I love the 50mm focal length, and this lens alone was worthwhile for me to switch from a-mount to e-mount. This lens is really the brass ring. It has the superior sharpness, color, and contrast that Zeiss manual focus lenses are known for. The SSM is a tremendous asset. It is a very bright f/1.8 lens, due to the transmission being t/1.8. I cannot get this lens to flare as much as I try. The hood is really superfluous.

The micro-contrast makes boring images pop. AF is nicely quick and pretty accurate.

If you are a 50mm shooter, this lens is worth switching for. Sharp corner to corner from f/5.6. At f/1.8, the lens is sharp over the center 80% of the frame.

I never thought I would find a lens sharper wide open than the Minolta 80-200 HS G, but I have.

This lens, while not as dainty as the 35/2.8, is wonderfully small and balances extremely well on the a7. When coupled with the 24-70/4, it is an amazing kit.

My only gripe is that the serial number for the lens is on a stupid sticker. What happened, Sony? Do a bit of C-N-C on the barrel before assembly and do it right. Not good for a $1k lens.