Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM A-mount lens review by Bodian

reviewer#45625 date: Dec-23-2020
compared to:Tamron 17-50
Sony Kit Lenses
Quite a lot of Minolta lenses.
negative:White Balance needs to be set as Auto in lightroom - bit too cool otherwise
comment:First review on Dyxum.

Used on A77ii

When I bought my first DSLR 11 years ago it came with the Sony kit lens (18-55 or something). Which was 'okay'. I then bought the Tamron 17-50 and was amazed at the difference in sharpness. But, I have felt an odd feeling of something 'not quite as good as it was' since I upgraded from the A580 to the A77ii.

It's taken me a long time to 'upgrade' to the SAL1650. Although only an amateur, without any scientific analysis - this lens is pretty amazing. Just enlarging images to 1:1 in Lightroom and comparing the sony and tamron (photos taken of the same thing at same focal length, seconds apart) shows that the sony is sharper in every single photo (I did quite a lot).

Not so sure about the WB colours, but if you set your import preset in Lightroom to auto, it sorts it out.

Bit bigger and heavier - makes it more difficult to fit in my bag - but then I love buying new kit bags, so I'll just have to do that!!

Still not quite convinced it's 'better' than my Minolta 35-105, but I think I have an especially good copy of that lens, and the improvement in reach from 35 to 16 is immense.