Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM A-mount lens review by Vin

price paid:€599 (BULK)
positive:F2.8
Size
Silent AF
negative:Slight distortion and vignetting (pretty normal for this range)
comment:Bought this lens for my A77. The lens is available in Europe as BULK, so no orange Sony box. However with normal guarantee.

Before owning this lens I mostly used the plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 which I found to be very sharp. Well the 16-50 is as sharp, maybe even sharper and has much nicer bokeh. The range makes it an ideal walk round lens. It's a bit heavy but I like it that way. In fact I haven't used the 50mm 1.8 anymore since.

The build quality is superb. The lens looks very nice and Sony payed real attention to the looks. Furthermore the lens is weather sealed so combining it with an A77 makes it the ideal travel companion.

At 16mm there is some distortion. However I actually like it at 16mm, gives a bit of fish eye effect. Vignetting is present, but does not bother me at all.

This lens is a great addition to the collection with very fast and silent AF, great build quality and F2.8 throughout the whole range. To bad Sony did not label it as G or CZ. However that would have influenced the price also..