Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS E-mount lens review by addy landzaat

reviewer#44515 date: May-10-2020
compared to:Sony 70-400G
Minolta 100-300 APO (D)
Canon 100-300L
Canon 200/2.8L (with 1.4 extender)
price paid:€769,-
positive:Auto focus
Weight
Sharpness
Well balanced feature set
negative:f/6.3 at the long end
only 70mm on the wide end
comment:Edited it on 9/11/2020

My experience is based on using the lens on the A6400 and sooc JPG's. I not yet converted RAW's. Edit: the experience now includes RAW capture.

I noticed my lens was really sharp, but the review by ghmcs made me a bit uncertain. I did a quick tripod based test and the 70-350G @300mm is the sharpest of the compared lenses. It is impressive to be honest.

Colour is bold. If bold is the right word. I might have liked a little less bold colours, but it is not a big deal. It does explains why it is just a 4 to me for colour. You might like it though.
Edit: colour grew on me, but it is bold.

Edit: distortion is easy to correct in RAW. However, it is noticeable in RAW. Distortion rating is based on the corrected version.

AF with the A6400 is really good. At 70mm AF is comparable to the 16-70/4, at 350mm it is a little slower.

The build is good consumer. It is light and not too big. I am sure hikers will love it.
I like the 350mm long end, but would have liked some more on the wide end even if it meant losing some mm's on the long end.
Edit: the 350mm makes it a viable birding lens, the focallength has grown on me as well.

All in all this lens is a good performer.
Edit: the A6400 with 70-350G is my to go combo for nature walks/hikes. It is wonderful.