Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS E-mount lens review by ADub128

reviewer#45761 date: Sep-27-2021
compared to:Sony 55-210 entry level, sometimes bundled lens.
positive:Great upgrade to the Sony 55-210, definitely a big step up in quality -- build and image.
negative:The lens is a bit pricey, so look for sales to save a little. I like the telephoto range, but would be nice to be a little wider on the short end. It would be nice if this were a little faster too, but with today's modern sensors, that doesn't matter too much for me, I just bump up the ISO. I have other lenses for bokeh applications.
comment:This is my first Sony G lens. I had recently shot some tennis/action shots using my old Sony 55-210 lens. The results there were OK, not great. So I started researching E-mount telephotos and I saw that the 70-350 was released just a couple of years ago, in 2019. I decided to treat myself and ended up adding this to my collection.

All in all, I think Sony did a great job with the trade-offs -- balancing size and speed and image quality. This G lens is definitely a big step up from the entry level 55-210 in terms of sharpness, color and build. The 70-350 is bigger and heavier though.

I enjoy having optical stabilization as my E-mount bodies (A6400, NEX-6, NEX-3) do not have in-body stabilization. The 55-210 also has OSS, but again, there are clear quality differences between that lens and a Sony G. The 55-210 is fine for "everyday" applications, but with sports shooting it is easy to find the limits of the 55-210.