Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS E-mount lens review by Cekari

reviewer#44083 date: Jun-10-2018
compared to:Sony 70-400 SSM II
Sony FE 70-200/4, that isn't bad either.
price paid:$2700
positive:Sharp, very sharp for a zoom lens even at max aperture.
(tested at 400 from f5.6 up to f16 and no difference except for a very minor DOF increase).
Superfast AF even on the a7RII.
Superfastx2 AF, tracking etc with my new a7RIII.
Great colors etc.
Very well built.
negative:Kind of small tripod foot to carry by hand and not arca-swiss moulded, when Sony???

Some CA at harsch conditions.
comment:Tested with 10mm, 16mm and 10+16mm extension tubes and it works great but kind of hard to handhold at 400mm and min distance, at least for me.
Above works really great with the a7RIII, it's fun doing macro at 400mm and so sharp still.

Did some testings with 2x TC, and it is still very sharp, but hard to handhold ( bought the 2x as the 1.4 wasn't available anywhere in the world, and not expected until October where I live ).

Update: I got my 1.4x TC last week, and tried it yesterday, and I must say it's really great, as sharp as the lens itself.
A warning though, I found out that I couldn't zoom out to 100mm on the lens, as the "rubber nose" on the TC prevented it, it stooped a few mm from the 100mm mark with a slight rubber feeling. Don't try to force it as you might break something.
Not a biggy, but take care if you need to zoom out.