Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44531 date: Jun-2-2020
compared to:SMC Takumar 2.5/135
Samyang 2/135
Sony FE 1.8/85
price paid:1500 euro (new)
positive:Sony hit it out of the park with this lens!
-AF speed
-Colours
-(crazy) Sharp
-Build; I like the polycarbonate body, no scratches whatsoever after some heavy use.
negative:It is bulky (the biggest lens I own) for a prime lens.
I give it 4 (4,5) points on flare; although the front lens is HUGE(!) as is it's sunhood; it can flare/ghost in difficult light = sun in or near the frame. Nothing I can not work with/around.
comment:AF speed is as fast as my FE1.8/85. AF missed just a few times in frames with bigger depth of field and a lot of contrast. But this could also be me, not knowing enough of the different focus modes of the A7iii.
Colours are very pleasant. Skintones are the best I've worked with of any lens so far. The raw files in Lightroom are a pleasure to work with. Also B&W converts with very natural tones.
Sharpness is stunning. Objects near or far, always pin sharp.
Bokeh is smooth either foreground or background, it just dissolves around your subject/object.

Only it's size and weight hold(ed) me off buying this lens. I was looking for a "perfect" short telephoto lens for some time now. I tried vintage SMC Takumar 2.5/135; nice for portraits as for landscape or streetphotography it just would not hold up on sharpness or contrast. MF exprience is nice though. I tried the Samyang 2/135; good IQ in most conditions but MF experience with this lens was not to my liking. This and the huge size kept me from using it.
My FE1.8/85 I love for close up portraits, but theres something I miss in full-body portraits and landscapes. I find it a bit harsh?
Since release online reviews on the 1.8/135 GM lens are RAVING about the quality of this lens. I wanted one for some time but could not find a secondhand copy of this lens (everyone who's bought it is keeping it?). I could not resist when a open box deal, sold as new, from a local seller came by. Should not have waited so long....
I can agree fully with fellow member Trick01's review: "Unbelievable lens and with eye focus it's almost criminal not to have it."
reviewer#44342 date: Aug-1-2019
compared to:A-mount:
Minolta 135 2.8
CZ 135 1.8
price paid:£1500 new
positive:Everything
negative:It's quite big, bigger than the a-mount
The lock on the hood (always forget about it and never needed one before - seems like over engineering)
comment:When I decided to switch from a-mount to e-mount, the existence of this lens was crucial. I needed to know it existed and it was the one lens I was not going to compromise on. The a-mount CZ has been my favourite lens ever since I first got it, and before that, the minolta 135 2.8 'pocket rocket'. I guess it must be the focal length, but the bokeh is just so creamy. I couldn't imagine anything could exceed the CZ, but I think this does. Unbelievable lens and with eye focus it's almost criminal not to have it.

UPDATE: after several more months of use I still absolutely love this lens (not that I had any doubt that would be the case). But I though the discussion from this post [url=https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/135mm-prime-v-70200-zoom_topic138284_post1616093.html#1616093]here[/url] onwards is worth bearing in mind. As per the post, it could be my laziness as a photographer, but the 135mm length forces me to take better photos than any zoom that covers this range.
reviewer#44317 date: Jun-11-2019
compared to:FE 85 1.4 GM
FE 85 1.8
CZ 135 F1.8 ZA Sonnar T* (sold)
price paid:1.850 Euro
positive:* sharpness
* bokeh
* AF speed
* color
negative:nothing (perhaps the weight)
comment:This is the best lens I own. I use it since the introduction in Holland (12 april 2019). Used it a lot. This is a stunning lens. I love everything about it! It sharpness, bokeh. But most of al the AF speed when Eyefocussing. Great for portraits from a distance and concert photography.

Together with te latest A7R3 firmware this is the best lens around for E-mount. So glad Sony did this fine job!

reviewer#44283 date: May-7-2019
compared to:Sony FE 100mm 2.8 GM
Sony FE 90mm 2.8 G
Sony FE 100-400mm GM
price paid:$2347
positive:Supersharp, like 5+ at f1.8 even out in the corners.
Very fast AF, even faster than the 100-400 GM.
Fits the a7RIII as a glove, and feels just right when used with the battery grip.
negative:Not as nice bokeh as the 100mm STF, but very close.
Can't use Sony's TCs???
No OSS but seems to work very well with the IBIS.
comment:Love it.
Can use the Kenko AF Extension Tubes 10, 16 and 10+16mm and still very fast AF and exceptional sharpness.

Edit: Well, IBIS doesn't work well with both ETs on the camera. The 10mm works rather well, 16mm so so and both at closest distance... nope.
Guessing it's lack of OSS for this lens that make it like this.
Works almost flawless on my other FE lenses with OSS like:
FE 90mm Macro