Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS E-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44377 date: Oct-6-2019
compared to:none
positive:This lens is amazing, very fast focus on the modern Sony mirorless cameras, shot on the a6400, the in lens stabilization allows hand held shots even at full zoom at 1/125 of a second. The quick zoom mechanism is great for acquiring the subject at 200 and zooming in to 600 with 1/4 of a rotation of the zoom ring, unlike the 100-400, which is much more cumbersome especially with its extending front lens group almost doubling the lens length. This lens is really the ideal safari lens, where carrying a 500 or 600 f/4 is not practical unless you have a assistant to carry it for you, this lens can be stowed in a padded backpack with the camera and lens hood for quick access. Don't forget a bean bag support when going on game runs to help support the lens for extended periods of time. While it can be held at eye level, it is a heavier lens and you need to be fairly strong to hold the lens for an extended period. For birding a carbon monopod and a wimberly head would be recommended. Image IQ is on par with the 100-400 GM, and in every way this lens looks and feels as well made as the GM lenses. The only problem is the Peak design strap lugs are vulnerable to inadvertent release where the strap ends are located and the design of the lens lugs. A different quick release strap should be considered. The only minor issue is the specular highlights have some onion rings, that can be easily corrected in post.

print stickers | sticker printing | printing services | business printing
negative:Have been shooting with it, mounted on my A9, for the past 10 days (since I got it). Early days (only three sessions so far). It replaced my Sigma 500mm APO DG + Kenko Teleplus x1.4 MC (my go-to setup in the past 3 years) Pros: (1) Lightweight & short, compared even side-by-side with Nikon legendary 200-500, and for sure side-by-side the Tamron 150-600 G2. (2) Very silent focus mechanism, and quit fast for Tele-zoom. (3) Tak sharp images, with no discernable vignietting and good bokeh. Cons: (1) Maxes out its tracking ability (good but not as good as a prime lens. (2) Autofocus is a bit hit /miss so far. When waking it up while trying to pan and zoom, it a lot of the time will settle at not at the focus but short of it, and the same goes for panning from one subject to another at a different distance. All review was done using the 600mm side of the lens (wildlife photography) F# between 8-13 (my favourite range).
comment:Before this, my longest lens had been 200 mm. I was excited to open new possibilities. The shocker has been the size and weight. I'm sure it compares favorably to other lenses in it's class, but I have never owned one of those. I gave up trying to make a spot in my bag, and carry the lens on it's strap over my shoulder. I would prefer to carry the strap across my chest, but the provided strap is not long enough to carry it that way. So I am about to order a Peak strap which will allow that. I don't photograph sports, and do little birding. I bought this for landscape. On a full-size tripod, it has performed well. I have a travel tripod, but I am doubtful it will be able to handle this beast (but I will test it). I have not printed any of the images yet, but on the screen, sharpness appears fine. In the 2 weeks I have owned it, I have several print-worthy images. I foresee that the size and weight will be the the limiting factors as to when and how often I use this lens. Hauling it more that a few hundred yards, in addition to a bag and full-size tripod, challenges my capacity. It is also unlikely to come along on trips requiring air travel. May have to settle for a 70-200 with a 2x extender for travel.
reviewer#44363 date: Aug-30-2019
compared to:FE 100-400 GM
price paid:SEK23 490 (≈$2 391)
positive:Reach (why I bought it)
Sharp, just a tad below the FE 100-400mm GM
very fast AF.
Internal zoom! Short turn from Min to Max. Easy to turn with just a finger.
f5,6-6.3, just a 1/3 stop from 200-600mm, wish it had been f4-5.6 or so though, at the cost of weight... and price.
Very good built quality.
negative:Well, if any, kind of heavy with a7R III and the battry-grip (a must for handling) , but rather that than not of this quality.
The included lens-strap is an ordinarie camerastrap, and is to short and to narrow and no padding for the neck/shoulder. (cheap Sony, cheap). Found a much better one at a website.
comment:A super great lens to use, can't wait to try it my new a7R IV (soon), with faster IBIS.
Works great with the 1.4x TC and still be used handheld, even tho I recommend using a monopod at least. (that's on me as I'm old and not so steady hands anymore).
Works with the 2x TC too, but really hard to keep steady at 1200mm, even tried with monopod, but a tad dark at the time so at 1/40s... you guess, will redo that one...

One have to copy the links below and paste them on a texteditor, select and right click and open URL. Have no idea why links don't work here???
Some test shots (non scientific) here:
www.flickr.com/photos/cekari/albums/72157710088033441

Real shots of running and jumping horses (other lenses was used as well) here:
www.flickr.com/photos/cekari/albums/72157710550088656
reviewer#44352 date: Aug-19-2019
compared to:SONY 70-400 G1 AND G2
positive:FAST FOCUSING, VERY SHARP AND INTERNAL ZOOM
negative:THE ZOOM RING IS EASILY KNOCKED INADVERTENTLY.
comment:I USE THIS LENS WITH MY A7III AND I'M AMAZED AT THE VERY HIGH PERCENTAGE OF IN FOCUS SHOTS
reviewer#44338 date: Jul-27-2019
compared to:FE 100-400
Canon EF 600 f4 IS L II with 2X TC
positive:Long reach and sharpness, plus can use 2X TC and still able to have good AF (use with A9 and A7rIII)
negative:Quite long compare to FE 100-400
comment:Great to have a lens that can reach 1200mm ( with 2X TC) and can still AF fast. Suppose can still have eye AF and animal eye AF when use with A9 (But A9's firmware for animal eye AF is not available as of the time of the review). In the past, the only 1200mm reach with good AF is Canon 1Dx with EF 600 f4 IS L II with 2X TC