Sony FE 20MM F1.8 G E-mount lens reviews

negative:Cost
Complex distortion
Plastic filter threads
Aperture control
comment:This was an indulgent purchase as I have been happy with the Tamron 20 F2.8 OSD and Sigma 20 F1.8 EX DG. Both of my copies of those lenses are well-aligned. I was not as happy with the old A-mount 20 F2.8 primes even after a third copy. This lens is considerable more expensive than those, though it is only slightly more than what Sony is charging for their rebadged 1986 Minolta 20 F2.8. "Made in Thailand"

This lens is is so much nicer to handle than the alloy clad Sony FE lenses. There seems to be two design camps at Sony and this lens was made by the one that puts handling above trendy aesthetics. The electronic aperture control ring doesn't operate as positively as the one on the Sigma Contemporary. The "A" setting though is even more positive which suits me fine. There is little possibility of accidently entering or leaving "A" by accident. The click on/off switch/option is fine. The FE 1.8/35 could really use the same treatment.

This lens is incredibly well-aligned and sharp in the center. It is the sharpest lens I've tested at F1.8 so far, which is truly remarkable considering how poor the old ultra-wides I've tried have been. The Tamron is so much better than those, but this is noticeable sharper than the Tamron. The Sigma shows fine detail wide-open too, but with a lot of fringing happening especially away from the center.

Sony's distortion profile is much better than Phase One's. The heavy but simple barrel distortion of the Tamron has practical uses of maintaining object shapes in the corners which is not available to this more rectilinearly corrected lens. Distortion Compensation is not forced to be enabled.
reviewer#45687 date: Apr-12-2021
compared to:Sony Zeiss 16-35 f/4
price paid:$700 USD (used)
positive:light-weight
lots of controls
quick to focus
large max aperture
negative:none found yet
comment:So far this is a great light weight alternative to the 16-35 f/4. Obviously the zoom has more range but 20mm is pretty decent for my uses in public photography or in museums. The +2 stop advantage for light gathering is good indoors as well. Images seem sharp and focusing is quick. I can see this paired with the 24-105 f/4 as a simple versatile kit.
reviewer#44483 date: Mar-21-2020
compared to:Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
Voigtländer 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar
price paid:11990 SEK
positive:Image quality, sharpness.
Aperture ring.
Filter thread.
Feels much smaller than the Sony FE 24mm.
negative:None, well maybe it´s handling of direct sun in the picture.
comment:I had the Sony FE 24mm but when this 20mm lens was released I decided to change. Luckily I saw an ad of a Sony FE 135 F1.8 for sale or swap to 24mm. After that I sold my Sony FE 70 - 200mm F4 and put a preorder of the new 20mm.

When it arrived first notice was that it looked considerably smaller than the 24mm dispite the 20 lens is only a few millimeters smaller. Apart from that handling is much the same with all buttons and controls on the same place.

I love the aperture ring and always use that instead of the camera control. As I have more lenses with aperture ring than without I have set my a7Rii to have AF on C3 and AF/MF center button for thumb, front control wheel for EV compensation and back control wheel for aperture when using lenses without aperture ring.

I really appreciate the flat front and filter thread for using ordinary round and square filters.

The only negative I have found so far it the ghosting and flair when the sun is directly in the picture.