Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS E-mount lens review by jeffreybehr

reviewer#21435 date: Nov-28-2015
compared to:Zony 24-70 F4
price paid:$800
positive:Zoom range, high image quality
negative:Bulk, weight. However, it feels quite OK on my a7R2 with batterygrip.
comment:I've been looking for a superzoom lens for my various cameras--Sony a99, LOTS of Canon EOS fullframes, Sony a7R a couple years ago, Samsung NX1--forever*. This is the first one I've found. Recognizing its basic nature--as a superzoom--it's excellent. Its distortions and corner darkenings are fixed instantly and automatically, in-camera for JPGs and in Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop for RAWS, and the results are VERY nice. After renting and testing this for about a week, the snob in me wanted a higher-IQ lens and bought a new Zony 24-70/F4. Wrong lens--or wrong copy; this 24-70's IQ was NOT AS GOOD as the 240's over the lengths of the 24-70, so it'll be sold and I'll keep and buy the rented 24-240 (from LensRentals.com).

To summarize, this lens is FAR better than its reputation on the 'net indicates, or at least my copy is. Coupled with the Zony 16-35/F4, I'm happy with two lenses covering a broad range of focal lengths.

* The closest I've gotten previously was the Zuiko 12-60 on an Oly EM-5 MkII, with an equivalent field of view of 24-120 on a 35.