Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM E-mount lens review by Dibok

reviewer#26556 date: Apr-20-2016
compared to:SAL2470Z, SEL2470Z, Batis 25, Canon TS-E 24 II
The center is for all of the above lenses outstanding. The SAL Zeiss needs a stop down to f8 to get sharp corners, the SEL was failing here at all. The Batis is an almost perfect lens, and for my taste provides the nicer colors - but I had to decide for economical reasons to return it. The Canon used as standard wide angle is in my understanding "unbeatable", except for the colors by the Batis.
The GM is sharp across the frame. At 2.8 to 4 the extreme corners are at pixel-peep-100% softer, but at f4 already gone.
Colors are clear and fine, microcontrast is fairly good - I personally am missing the Zeiss typical color and contrast. The bokeh is (for me) for a standard zoom (especially compared to the SAL and SEL Zeiss' surpisingly good.
price paid:2.300 €
positive:Sharpness across the frame, nice color rendtition, solidly built.
negative:Nothing so far.
comment:The GM is no "empty" marketing promise. It delivers in every aspect. It is big - of course it is - it is 2.8. During my A-mount time the SAL2470Z was my every-day, so became the new GM since two weeks now.

Product code is "SEL2470GM" by the way.