Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS E-mount lens review by Ophtho

reviewer#11847 date: May-24-2014
compared to:80-200 f/2.8 black
negative:Huge lens.
comment:I am aware that telephotos have to be larger than standard lenses. However, this lens doesn't make sense to me, which is why I'm taking off points in the "build" category. If it were MUCH smaller or lighter in comparison to an f/2.8 model I'd probably get it, but it just doesn't save enough weight/size to make it critically more useable. With a telephoto you want short shutter times, and since carrying a 2.8 won't make your pack much heavier I believe they are the better option.
**Edit** Member JamesMD contacted me with some info worthwile to consider: According to his research The Canon equivalent of the lens is 140g lighter but doesn't have a tripodmount/USM. 2.8 Zooms in the range are considerably heavier. However, I maintain the downgrading (the average score I gave the lens is still outstanding) since I find it useless for the shooting conditions I encounter. It is an FE-Lens, and even if it saves a a couple of grams I still don't see much of an advantage over a faster lens. It's much to big to enjoy carrying on trips and IF you are carrying it, you might as well carry a faster zoom or a faster an lighter prime in the range. I doubt this lens will get much use from anyone who intents it for anything else than studio work - and if studio work is what you do, you might actually be better served with an A-Mount setup in the first place. Just my two cents - I still believe I rated the lens fairly for a construction I found underwhelming :)