Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS E-mount lens review by Dibok

reviewer#11856 date: Jun-5-2014
compared to:SAL70200G and SAL70400G2
Directly compared to the SAL's by using the LA-EA4 at equivalent apertures the SEL wins at every aspect.
price paid:€ 1.199
positive:Outstanding solid built quality; weathersealing.
Sharpness across the frame (except >150mm wide open)
Colors and contrast, very nice bokeh
negative:The tripod collar fits not tight enough. When closed it's possible to rotate it. Could become an issue once the lens is being used over a longer time.
comment:When changing from A7R to A7II I decided to buy this lens. There is nothing really critical to rave about. IQ is very good, built quality outstanding and AF is accurate and quite fast however in certain contrast situations quite bitchy meaning doesn't hit on the first attempt. On the short end IS gives up to 4 stops and on the long end 2 stops (probably some can hold more still than I do and may have a stop more).

This lens is not made for usage with the A7R. I thought the "shutter vibration" topic would be overrated, but I could prove by myself it is not.
Handheld it looks much better, but also limited. On the tripod I encountered blur with focal lengths >120mm at almost any speed between 1/30 and 1/320. Although mostly visible at pixel peep level on the screen, however it is there.
My rating is based on my test shots at speeds >1/320s.