Sony FE 85mm F1.8 E-mount lens review by Tricky01

reviewer#44544 date: Jul-5-2020
compared to:Zeiss 85 1.4 (A mount)
price paid:£500 New
positive:Very sharp
Lovely bokeh
Small and light
negative:None, perhaps plastic build if being picky
comment:I still can't quite believe this lens. I had the Zeiss 85 1.4 on a-mount and after reading favourable reviews online, decided to go for the 85 1.8 before trying the 85 1.4. I never have tried the 1.4, so impressed by the 1.8's performance.

Firstly, it is such a small compact lens. Only slightly larger than the 35 1.8 (which it is a perfect accompaniment to), and importantly a much smaller diameter lens to the zeiss. I have a peak design 6 litre sling bag and can carry the 35 and 85 on top of each other (with separator) on one side and A7iii with 135 1.8GM mounted on the other side. No way I could've done this with A mount, or given the size, the 85 1.4GM.

As I said, I've never tried the 1.4GM, which presumably must be stellar, but the 1.8 is easily on par with my experience of the zeiss 1.4. The ISO capabilities of the A7iii easily make up for any loss of light from 1.4 to 1.8 and the images it takes a beuatiful. Lovely Bokeh, super fast AF with eye AF, in a tiny package. Really is nothing to dislike here.