Tamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD MACRO A-mount lens review by therealfb

compared to:Sony 18-250
Minolta 75-300 Big Beercan
Minolta 35-105 Beercan
Soligor 28-70
Sigma 28-200 (72mm filter)
Sigma 28-200 DG (62mm filter)
Minolta 50 1.7
price paid:$700.00 cad (new)
positive:Surprisingly crisp easy to work with lens
negative:Hunts a bit in low light, not a big deal with an A77
comment:Tamron has hit one out of the park with this one. As sharp as anything at center and only minor softness towards the edge and that disappears as the F stop values increase. Color is halfway between Sony and Minolta and that is not a bad thing, believe me I compared the lens with a Sony 18-135 and chose this one, both had qualities and drawbacks but the performance was closer than I thought it would have been. It's a very well thought out and executed product. I have owned many lenses old and new and let me assure you this is a keeper and I thing one of those lenses that become the one that everything gets compared to. It shoots well above it's modest price. It's become my go to lens for almost everything and all I can say is "way to go Tamron" It doesn't matter what the specs say, the product works extremely well and there are fewer compromises than you may think. I was so impressed by it that I purchased one for my wife for her Sony A77 and she's now a fan and she did not like Tamron because of a previous bad experience. Tamron, keep up the good work!!!. I would not doubt that this lens becomes the benchmark that all other (super zooms) lens are compared to.