Tamron 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD E-mount lens review by lomitamike

reviewer#46969 date: Dec-21-2023
compared to:Sony 18-200LE
price paid:rented
positive:"The" one lens solution.
Great travel kit lens.
Excellent for areas where changing lenses is not a good idea like windy dusty days.
negative:Not especially excellent at any zoom range.
Big.
Cumbersome at 300mm
Slow focusing.
f/3.5-5.6
comment:I have a travel kit I take with me on any trip that is not a photoshoot. My goal is to keep it small, light and use as little equipment as possible for any occasion that may arise.My choice is APS e-mount that includes my A6000, Sony 18-200LE, 50 or 35 f/1.8, and a flash.
For my last trip with my family I rented the Tamron 18-300 because my Sony 18-200 stopped working. That's another story.
This Tamron lens covered just about every focal range I needed except for the wide end. I think a 10-200 would be way more useful. But it satisfied my needs for a one lens solution.
After using this lens for two weeks I can say that I would rather have had my Sony 18-200 lens. It's smaller lighter, focuses faster and the images seem to be a little sharper.
I find the 100mm difference at the long end doesn't make that big of a difference to me. I don't think I even got more than a couple of shots at 300mm. Just not that useful for me.
I can recommend this lens for a kit lens replacement or a one lens solution. It's actually a pretty amazing lens if you think about what it does.