Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) A-mount lens review by tomhongkong

reviewer#6040 date: Sep-13-2009
price paid:$450 New
positive:Convenience
Cheaper than equivalent Sony
negative:Slow focus
Needs stopping down for any decent sharpness
comment:If there was a category for convenience this would get 5 without doubt. It is on my camera more than any other lens. The 17-50, 16-80 or 70-300G produce better pictures if the range is OK for you(especially the 70-300G.

It really HAS to be stopped down at least one stop at all FL to get sharpish images. As it starts pretty slow (3.5 runs out very soon) this means you are looking at a good light, or flash. I have mine usually set at f8 on Aperture Priority so I don't forget to stop down. It is definitely sharper than the KM 18-200 which I have since sold.

I can't complain about the build, it has stood up to 2 years knocking about without problems, and the zoom is still stiff enough unless I run with the lens pointing down (I have just started using the useful zoom lock). It is obviously not as good as the metal lenses so only 4.0, but it is definitely good enough.

The results are just not a colorful as the 16-80, hence only 4.0, (however everything is possible with pp).

I don't find flare much of a problem, but maybe I am just careful with lighting. I gave it 4.0 because I don't really have any comment.

if you don't have one of these lenses or its siblings you definitely need to get one!