Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) A-mount lens review by Snowcat

reviewer#8454 date: Dec-27-2010
Sigma 17-70
ZD 16-80
Nikon 18-200
and more...
price paid:270 USD (Used, Mint)
positive:It's 18-250 after all!
Extension tubes made very well, sturdy
Relatively sharp if stopped down, compared to kit lenses and alike
I've mentioned the range, right?
Colors are quite nice
negative:3.5 is sure soft
Never too sharp, compared to upper class lenses
Zoom creeps easily
comment:I would definitely recommend this lens as a starting one for a newbie, this is a no-brainer. Get this and you can shoot anything you like, the range is just great. The IQ is acceptable. If you've seen only the kit lenses, the IQ will be great for you.
I've seen many lenses, so I see that this lens is not sharp enough to compete in this field with more expansive lenses. But it's unbeatable side is it's range!
As for IQ, well, shoot at 5.6-11 and do some sharpening in post process, and you'll get great pictures.

Check my review (in Russian, but you always can see the pictures, or google-translate it) - http://www.alphatraveller.com/2010/12/tamron-18-25035-63-sony.html

EDIT: I've sold this lens, but after some time I understood that it was a mistake, sometimes it is veery handy to have such a versatile lens, and I bought another one. The second one behaves very similar, maybe it's a bit sharper at the short end, but not too much.